Money Announcements, The Demand for Bank Reserves, and the Behavior of the Federal Funds Rate within the Statement Week
The effect of money stock announcements on the federal funds rate has been attributed informally to the information conveyed by the announcements about aggregate reserve demand. This "Aggregate Information Hypothesis" explains the effect without reference to Federal Reserve intervention in the funds market. In this paper I provide a formal model of the Aggregate Information Hypothesis under lagged reserve accounting. The model relies on imperfect information in the funds market, and on imperfect bank arbitrage of reserve demand between days of the week. Some stylized facts are presented about funds rate behavior in the period 1980-1983.
|Date of creation:||1987|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Money, Credit and Banking|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Vance Roley & Carl E. Walsh, 1983.
"Monetary Policy Regimes, Expected Inflation, and the Response of Interest Rates to Money Announcements,"
NBER Working Papers
1181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roley, V Vance & Walsh, Carl E, 1985. "Monetary Policy Regimes, Expected Inflation, and the Response of Interest Rates to Money Announcements," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 1011-39, Supp..
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985.
"Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983. "Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties," Working Papers 537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cornell, Bradford, 1983. "Monetary policy and the daily behavior of interest rates," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 189-203, June.
- Robert J. Shiller & John Y. Campbell & Kermit L. Schoenholtz, 1983.
"Forward Rates and Future Policy: Interpreting the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(1), pages 173-224.
- Robert J. Shiller & John Y. Campbell & Kermit L. Schoenholtz, 1983. "Forward Rates and Future Policy: Interpreting the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 667, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:3220231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.