Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity in Long Memory Models
Interest in the interface of nonstationarity and nonlinearity has been increasing in the econometric literature. The motivation for this development maybe be traced to the perceived possibility that processes following nonlinear models maybe mistakenly taken to be unit root or long-memory nonstationary. This paper considers the possibility that processes may exhibit both long memory and nonlinearity. We test against the possibility that the process u t in the model (1-L) d y t = u t is nonlinear. We do not assume a particular parametric form for the nonlinear process but construct a pure significance test. Clearly, such a test could be straightforwardly constructed if d were known. Unfortunately, if a linear model is assumed while estimating d the power of the test will be reduced. We propose new more powerful tests for this problem. We present Monte Carlo evidence on the performance of the new tests and apply them to Yen real exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:nsr:niesrd:153 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diebold, Francis X. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2001.
"Long memory and regime switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 131-159, November.
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000. "Long Memory and Regime Switching," NBER Technical Working Papers 0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kapetanios, G., 1999. "Threshold Models for Trended Time Series," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9905, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2005. "Generating schemes for long memory processes: regimes, aggregation and linearity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 253-282, October.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2002. "Generating schemes for long memory processes: Regimes, aggregation and linearity," Technical Reports 2002,46, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998. "Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-311, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Enders/Granger JBES(1998)on threshold unit roots," Statistical Software Components RTZ00054, Boston College Department of Economics.