Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity in Long Memory Models
Interest in the interface of nonstationarity and nonlinearity has been increasing in the econometric literature. The motivation for this development maybe be traced to the perceived possibility that processes following nonlinear models maybe mistakenly taken to be unit root or long-memory nonstationary. This paper considers the possibility that processes may exhibit both long memory and nonlinearity. We test against the possibility that the process u t in the model (1-L) dy t�=�u t is nonlinear. We do not assume a particular parametric form for the nonlinear process but construct a pure significance test. Clearly, such a test could be straightforwardly constructed if d were known. Unfortunately, if a linear model is assumed while estimating d the power of the test will be reduced. We propose new more powerful tests for this problem. We present Monte Carlo evidence on the performance of the new tests and apply them to Yen real exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2005.
"Generating schemes for long memory processes: regimes, aggregation and linearity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 253-282, October.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2002. "Generating schemes for long memory processes: Regimes, aggregation and linearity," Technical Reports 2002,46, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kapetanios, G., 1999. "Threshold Models for Trended Time Series," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9905, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:153 is not listed on IDEAS
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000.
"Long Memory and Regime Switching,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.