Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence
Overnight money market rates are the predominant operational target of monetary policy. As a consequence, central banks have redesigned the implementation of monetary policy to keep the deviations of the overnight rate from the key policy rate small and short-lived. This paper uses fractional integration techniques to explore how the operational framework of four major central banks affects the persistence of overnight rates. Our results suggest that a well-communicated and transparent interest rate target of the central bank is a particularly important condition for a low degree of overnight rate persistence.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2007.
"Nonlinearities and Fractional Integration in the US Unemployment Rate,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(4), pages 521-544, 08.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2004. "Non-Linearities And Fractional Integration In The Us Unemployment Rate," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 04-17, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2004. "Non-Linearities And Fractional Integration In The Us Unemployment Rate," Public Policy Discussion Papers 04-17, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2005. "Non-Linearities And Fractional Integration In The Us Unemployment Rate," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 05-17, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Luis A. Gil-Alana & Guglielmo M. Caporale, . "Nonlinearities and fractional integration in the US unemployment rate," Faculty Working Papers 18/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2004. "Non-linearities and fractional integration in the US unemployment rate," HWWA Discussion Papers 259, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2007.
"Estimation of fractional integration in the presence of data noise,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 3100-3114, March.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Oe., . "Estimation of Fractional Integration in the Presence of Data Noise," Economics Working Papers 2003-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Seth Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2008. "The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence at the Monthly Frequency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 1-24, 02.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2007.
"Transparency, Disclosure, and the Federal Reserve,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 3(1), pages 179-225, March.
- Abbassi, Puriya & Nautz, Dieter, 2010.
"Monetary transmission right from the start: The (dis)connection netween the money market and the ECB's main refinancing rates,"
2010/7, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Puriya Abbassi & Dieter Nautz, 2010. "Monetary Transmission Right from the Start: The (Dis)Connection Between the Money Market and the ECB’s Main Refinancing Rates," Working Papers 1011, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 15 Jul 2010.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008.
"Monetary Policy Implementation and the Federal Funds Rate,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-025, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2009. "Monetary policy implementation and the federal funds rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1274-1284, July.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto, 2007. "Dynamics of Persistence in International Inflation Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 1457-1479, 09.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003.
"The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
559.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Quiros, Gabriel Perez & Mendizabal, Hugo Rodriguez, 2006. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 91-118, February.
- Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What has Changed with the EMU?," Working Papers 22, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The daily market for funds in Europe: what has changed with the EMU," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0313, Banco de Espa�a.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2008.
"A Black Swan in the Money Market,"
NBER Working Papers
13943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009. "A black swan in the money market," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- John C. Williams & John B. Taylor, 2009. "A Black Swan in the Money Market," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 58-83, January.
- Silvio Colarossi & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "Gradualism, Transparency and the Improved Operational Framework: A Look at Overnight Volatility Transmission," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 151-170, 08.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2008.
"Modelling short-term interest rate spreads in the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0982, European Central Bank.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2008. "Modeling Short-Term Interest Rate Spreads in the Euro Money Market," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 2001. "Long memory and nonlinear mean reversion in Japanese yen-based real exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Whitesell, William, 2006. "Interest rate corridors and reserves," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1177-1195, September.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2005. "When did the FOMC begin targeting the federal funds rate? what the verbatim transcripts tell us," Working Papers 2004-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2006. "Spurious regressions between stationary generalized long memory processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 446-454, March.
- Silvio Colarossi & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "Gradualism, transparency and the improved operational framework: a look at the overnight volatility transmission," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 710, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Craig S. Hakkio & Gordon H. Sellon, Jr., 2000. "The discount window : time for reform?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 1-20.
- Thomas J. Jordan & Peter Kugler, 2004. "Implementing Swiss Monetary Policy: Steering the 3M-Libor with Repo Transactions," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 381-393, September.
- Hassler, Uwe & Nautz, Dieter, 2008. "On the persistence of the Eonia spread," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 184-187, December.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Anne Vila Wetherilt, 2003. "Money market operations and short-term interest rate volatility in the United Kingdom," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 701-719.
- Kim, Jae-Young, 2000. "Detection of change in persistence of a linear time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 97-116, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:30:y:2011:i:7:p:1375-1386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.