Money market operations and short-term interest rate volatility in the United Kingdom
This study examines whether in the United Kingdom the choice of the operational framework for monetary policy has been systematically related to patterns in money market rates. It first focuses on the Bank of England's policy target, the two-week repo rate. The tests indicate that tighter spreads between the two-week market rate and the official repo rate result in lower money market volatility at the very short end of the money market curve. The effects at the longer end are much weaker. But no evidence is found of transmission of two-week volatility along the money market curve. In contrast to many other central banks, the Bank of England does not employ an operating target for the overnight rate. No evidence is found that allowing greater variation in overnight rates undermines efforts of the central bank to keep market interest rates in alignment with its monetary policy target. The results further indicate that volatility of rates at the very short end of the UK money market yield curve has declined significantly since the early 1990s. The introduction of the gilt repo market in January 1996 was associated with lower money market volatility, although there is evidence that volatility had started to fall as early as mid-1995. The effects of the 1997 reforms of the Bank of England's open market operations are less discernible in the data. In contrast, the creation of a ceiling for overnight rates in June 1998 was more clearly associated with a reduction in volatility of end-of-day overnight rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2003.
"Multiple Unit Auctions and Short Squeezes,"
2003.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guthrie, Graeme & Wright, Julian, 2000. "Open mouth operations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 489-516, October.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0016, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucio Sarno & Daniel L. Thornton, 2002.
"The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: an empirical investigation,"
2000-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L., 2003. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1079-1110, June.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L, 2002. "The Dynamic Relationship Between the Federal Funds rate and the Treasury Bill Rate: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez, 2000.
"The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?,"
Economics Working Papers
474, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2001. "The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?," Working Paper Series 0067, European Central Bank.
- Quiro, G.P. & Mendizabal, H.R., 2001. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: Has Something Changed with the EMU," Papers 67, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0123, Econometric Society.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001. "Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Schnadt, Norbert & Whittaker, John, 1995. "Optimal Money Market Behaviour and Sterling Interest Rates," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 63(4), pages 368-87, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Hall, Anthony D & Anderson, Heather M & Granger, Clive W J, 1992. "A Cointegration Analysis of Treasury Bill Yields," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 116-26, February.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andrés, 2001.
"The microstructure of the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0080, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Day-to-day monetary policy and the volatility of the federal funds interest rate,"
110, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "Day-to-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 137-59, February.
- Alessandro Prati & Giuseppe Bertola & Leonardo Bartolini, 2000. "Day-To-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate," IMF Working Papers 00/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003.
"The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001. "The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Staff Reports 135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou & James Proudman & John Spicer, 2000. "Persistence and volatility in short-term interest rates," Bank of England working papers 116, Bank of England.
- Juan Ayuso & Andrew Haldane & Fernando Restoy, 1997. "Volatility transmission along the money market yield curve," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 56-75, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:13:y:2003:i:10:p:701-719. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.