Implementing monetary policy in the 2000s: operating procedures in Asia and beyond
Just as monetary policy at the strategic level has undergone significant changes over the years, so has its day-to-day implementation. This paper documents the key features of 17 central banks' monetary operating frameworks as of early 2007 and discusses their major developments over the preceding decade. It finds that while some common themes and practices can be identified, there is no unique "best" way to implement monetary policy. Moreover, central banks everywhere - even in industrial economies - have continued to refine their operating frameworks and procedures and to innovate where necessary, responding to changing needs in changing times.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert N McCauley, 2008. "Developing financial markets and operating monetary policy in Asia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial market developments and their implications for monetary policy, volume 39, pages 126-141 Bank for International Settlements.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2006.
"Anticipation of Monetary Policy and Open Market Operations,"
704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2006. "Anticipation of Monetary Policy and Open Market Operations," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(2), May.
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001.
"The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone,"
135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003. "The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Woodford, Michael, 2000.
"Monetary Policy in a World without Money,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 229-260, July.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 1999. "The Future of Monetary Policy: The Central Bank as an Army with Only a Signal Corps?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 321-338, November.
- Inese Buzeneca & Rodolfo Maino, 2007. "Monetary Policy Implementation; Results from a Survey," IMF Working Papers 07/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Borio & William Nelson, 2008. "Monetary operations and the financial turmoil," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- David Archer, 2006. "Implications of recent changes in banking for the conduct of monetary policy," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The banking system in emerging economies: how much progress has been made?, volume 28, pages 123-51 Bank for International Settlements.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 1999. "The Future of Monetary Policy: The Central Bank as an Army With Only a Signal Corps," NBER Working Papers 7420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freedman, Charles, 2000. "Monetary Policy Implementation: Past, Present and Future--Will Electronic Money Lead to the Eventual Demise of Central Banking?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 211-227, July.
- John Broadbent, 2008. "Financial market innovation in Australia: implications for the conduct of monetary policy," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial market developments and their implications for monetary policy, volume 39, pages 114-125 Bank for International Settlements.
- Robert N McCauley, 2003. "Unifying government bond markets in East Asia," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Bernard J Laurens & Rodolfo Maino, 2007. "China; Strengthening Monetary Policy Implementation," IMF Working Papers 07/14, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.