Some Financial Stability Indicators for Brazil
We present a methodology to construct a Broad Financial Stability Indicator (FSIB) based on unobserved common factors and a Specific Financial Stability Indicator (FSIS) for the Brazilian economy combining observed credit, debt and exchange rate markets indicators. Rather than advocate a particular numerical indicator of financial stability, our main goal is methodological. Our indicators, calculated in sample and ex-post, seem to capture three periods of considerably high financial instability in Brazil: (i) the 1998/1999 speculative attack on the Real, (ii) the government transition of 2002/2003 and (iii) the intensification of the 2008/2009 subprime financial crisis triggered by the collapse of the Lehman Brothers. We also propose an alternative methodology that decomposes business cycle fluctuations in two components -- a Financial Factor (FF) and a Real Factor (RF) -- which are identified from co-movements of financial and non-financial variables. The results are similar to the ones pointed out by our FSIB and FSIS measures.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joon-Ho Hahm & Frederic S. Mishkin & Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2012.
"Macroprudential Policies in Open Emerging Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
17780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hahm, Joon-Ho & Mishkin, Frederic S. & Shin, Hyun Song & Shin, Kwanho, 2011. "Macroprudential policies in open emerging economies," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov, pages 63-114.
- Carlos Montoro & Ramon Moreno, 2011. "The use of reserve requirements as a policy instrument in Latin America," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Jan Willem van den End, 2006. "Indicator and boundaries of financial stability," DNB Working Papers 097, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Scott Brave & R. Andrew Butters, 2011. "Monitoring financial stability: a financial conditions index approach," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 22-43.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.