Offshore markets for the domestic currency: monetary and financial stability issues
We show in this paper that offshore markets intermediate a large chunk of financial transactions in major reserve currencies such as the US dollar. We argue that, for emerging market economies that are interested in seeing some international use of their currencies, offshore markets can help to increase the recognition and acceptance of the currency while still allowing the authorities to retain a measure of control over the pace of capital account liberalisation. The development of offshore markets could pose risks to monetary and financial stability in the home economy which need to be prudently managed. The experience of the Federal Reserve and of the authorities of the other major reserve currency economies in dealing with the euromarkets shows that policy options are available for managing such risks.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aliber, Robert Z., 1980. "The integration of the offshore and domestic banking system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 509-526, October.
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica Cacdac Warnock, 2006.
"International Capital Flows and U.S. Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
12560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica C. Warnock, 2005. "International capital flows and U.S. interest rates," International Finance Discussion Papers 840, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica C. Warnock, 2005. "International Capital Flows and U.S. Interest Rates," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp103, IIIS.
- Robert N. McCauley & Guonan Ma & Yin-Wong Cheung, 2009. "Renminbisation des actifs internationaux de la Chine," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 95(2), pages 135-155.
- Cho-Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz-Kin Chung, 2009.
"Funding Liquidity Risk and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity During the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009,"
0913, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Cho‐Hoi Hui & Hans Genberg & Tsz‐Kin Chung, 2011. "Funding liquidity risk and deviations from interest‐rate parity during the financial crisis of 2007–2009," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 307-323, October.
- Anella Munro & Philip Wooldridge, 2010.
"Motivations for swap-covered foreign currency borrowing,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The international financial crisis and policy challenges in Asia and the Pacific, volume 52, pages 145-185
Bank for International Settlements.
- Anella Munro & Philip Wooldridge, 2011. "Motivations for swap-covered foreign currency borrowing," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 19-56 Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845519 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hans Genberg, 2009.
"Currency Internationalisation: Analytical and Policy Issues,"
312009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Hans Genberg, 2011. "Currency internationalisation: analytical and policy issues," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 221-230 Bank for International Settlements.
- Dale W. Henderson & Douglas G. Waldo, 1980. "Reserve requirements on Eurocurrency deposits: implications for Eurodeposit multipliers, control of a monetary aggregate, and avoidance of redenomination incentives," International Finance Discussion Papers 164, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Eric T. Swanson & Tao Wu, 2006.
"The bond yield "conundrum" from a macro-finance perspective,"
Working Paper Series
2006-16, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Eric T. Swanson & Tao Wu, 2006. "The Bond Yield "Conundrum" from a Macro-Finance Perspective," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 24(S1), pages 83-109, December.
- Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2009. "The US dollar shortage in global banking," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Robert N. McCauley & Rama Seth, 1992. "Foreign bank credit to U.S. corporations: the implications of offshore loans," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 52-65.
- Naohiko Baba & Robert N McCauley & Srichander Ramaswamy, 2009. "US dollar money market funds and non-US banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.