Monetary transmission right from the start: On the information content of the eurosystem's main refinancing operations
The Eurosystem's main refinancing operations (MRO) are key for the interbank money market and the monetary transmission process in the euro area. This paper investigates how money market rates respond to the information revealed by various aspects of an MRO auction outcome. Our results confirm that the level of MRO rates governed short-term money market rates before the financial crisis. Since the start of the financial crisis, however, the information content of MRO rates has changed. While the levels of MRO rates have lost much of their pre-crisis significance, the spread between the weighted average and the marginal MRO rate has become an important barometer for the actual situation in the money market during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjell G. Nyborg, 2004.
"Multiple Unit Auctions and Short Squeezes,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 545-580.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010.
"Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," Working Paper Series 1126, European Central Bank.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2003.
"Cross-country differences in monetary policy execution and money market rates' volatility,"
175, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Prati, Alessandro, 2006. "Cross-country differences in monetary policy execution and money market rates' volatility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 349-376, February.
- Bindseil, Ulrich, 2004. "Monetary Policy Implementation: Theory, past, and present," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199274543, December.
- Tobias Linzert & Sandra Schmidt, 2011. "What explains the spread between the Euro overnight rate and the ECB's policy rate?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 275-289, 07.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011.
"The price of liquidity: the effects of market conditions and bank characteristics,"
Working Paper Series
1376, European Central Bank.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011. "The price of liquidity: The effects of market conditions and bank characteristics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 344-362.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2007.
"The daily and policy-relevant liquidity effects,"
2007-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Mojon, Benoît & Valla, Natacha, 2005. "Term structure and the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates in euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0518, European Central Bank.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2008.
"A Black Swan in the Money Market,"
NBER Working Papers
13943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John C. Williams & John B. Taylor, 2009. "A Black Swan in the Money Market," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 58-83, January.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009. "A black swan in the money market," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2008.
"Modelling short-term interest rate spreads in the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0982, European Central Bank.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2008. "Modeling Short-Term Interest Rate Spreads in the Euro Money Market," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Ulrich Bindseil & Kjell G. Nyborg & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2009. "Repo Auctions and the Market for Liquidity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(7), pages 1391-1421, October.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1997.
"Approximate Asymptotic P Values for Structural-Change Tests,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 60-67, January.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995. "Approximate Asymptotic P-Values for Structural Change Tests," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 297., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's examples of Andrews-Ploberger test," Statistical Software Components RTZ00087, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dieter Nautz & Jan Scheithauer, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Implementation and Overnight Rate Persistence,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2009-053, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2011. "Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1375-1386.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence," Discussion Papers 2010/26, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Hauck, Achim & Neyer, Ulrike, 2010. "The euro area interbank market and the liquidity management of the eurosystem in the financial crisis," DICE Discussion Papers 09, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Silvio Colarossi & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "Gradualism, Transparency and the Improved Operational Framework: A Look at Overnight Volatility Transmission," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 151-170, 08.
- Silvio Colarossi & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "Gradualism, transparency and the improved operational framework: a look at the overnight volatility transmission," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 710, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Linzert, Tobias & Nautz, Dieter & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2007. "Bidding behavior in the longer term refinancing operations of the European Central Bank: Evidence from a panel sample selection model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1521-1543, May.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2008. "Liquidity management and overnight rate calendar effects: Evidence from German banks," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 7-21, March.
- Bindseil, Ulrich, 2004. "Over- and underbidding in central bank open market operations conducted as fixed rate tender," ZEI Working Papers B 03-2004, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Ulrich Bindseil & Benedict Weller & Flemming Wuertz, 2003. "Central Bank and Commercial Banks' Liquidity Management - What is the Relationship?," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(1), pages 37-66, 02.
- Seth Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2008. "The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence at the Monthly Frequency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 1-24, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp1:201124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.