Liquidity management and overnight rate calendar effects: Evidence from German banks
We document a general pattern in the euro area overnight interbank rate (EONIA) and analyze how German banks compared to other EMU banks respond to these predictable changes in the price for reserve holdings. At the beginning of the maintenance period, when the EONIA is typically above average, we observe that German banks hold substantially less reserves than their daily average required reserves. Thus in contrast to other EMU banks, German banks back load the fulfillment of their reserve requirements over the reserve maintenance period and thereby benefit from the general pattern in the EONIA. Looking at the disaggregate data we find than this is particularly the case for the Landesbanks. We argue that the end of the calender month effect in the EONIA may be driven by a temporary shortage of liquidity, relative to reserve requirements, at the beginning of the maintenance period (which coincides with the end of the calendar month).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2005.
"Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations,"
2005/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A. & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Bidding and performance in repo auctions: evidence from ECB open market operations," Working Paper Series 0157, European Central Bank.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ulrich Bindseil & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Working Papers 2005.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9878h0kn, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Furfine, Craig H., 2000. "Interbank payments and the daily federal funds rate," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 535-553, October.
- Michael Ehrmann & Andreas Worms, 2004. "Bank Networks and Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1148-1171, December.
- Quiros, Gabriel Perez & Mendizabal, Hugo Rodriguez, 2006.
"The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 91-118, February.
- Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What has Changed with the EMU?," Working Papers 22, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The daily market for funds in Europe: what has changed with the EMU," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0313, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 559.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ben R. Craig & Falko Fecht, 2006.
"The Eurosystem money market auctions: a banking perspective,"
0506, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Craig, Ben & Fecht, Falko, 2007. "The eurosystem money market auctions: A banking perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2925-2944, September.
- Bartzsch, Nikolaus & Craig, Ben R. & Fecht, Falko, 2005. "The eurosystem money market auctions: a banking perspective," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andrés, 2001.
"The microstructure of the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0080, European Central Bank.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004.
"Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: is there a danger of contagion?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 211-229 Bank for International Settlements.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0123, Econometric Society.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001. "Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecofin:v:19:y:2008:i:1:p:7-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.