Efficiency of Thai provincial public hospitals after the introduction of National Health Insurance Program
Many international institutions, including the World Bank and the World Health Organization (WHO), have recommended that countries adopt universal health care coverage, believing that adequate health care is a basic human right. Thailand became the first developing country to introduce universal coverage (UC) in 2001. Six of 92 provinces adopted UC in April 2001, while the remaining provinces implemented UC in October of that year. During the early phase, Thailand has struggled with implementing universal health coverage. One of the primary problems is the financial stress of public hospitals due to the mostly unfunded government mandate requiring these hospitals to meet the service needs of the enrolled population.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 646210, Pullman, WA 99164-646210|
Web page: http://faculty.ses.wsu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Hsi-Hui, 1998. "Determinants of Hospital Efficiency: the Case of Central Government-owned Hospitals in Taiwan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 307-317, April.
- Chilingerian, Jon A., 1995. "Evaluating physician efficiency in hospitals: A multivariate analysis of best practices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 548-574, February.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Andrew Worthington, 1999. "An Empirical Survey Of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques In Healthcare Services," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 067, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Scheraga, Carl A., 2004. "Operational efficiency versus financial mobility in the global airline industry: a data envelopment and Tobit analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 383-404, June.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 1999. "HMO selection and Medicare costs: Bayesian MCMC estimation of a robust panel data tobit model with survival," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(5), pages 403-414.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Pierre Thomas Léger, 2000. "Quality control mechanisms under capitation payment for medical services," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 564-586, May.
- Paul V. Grootendorst, 1997. "Health care policy evaluation using longitudinal insurance claims data: An application of the Panel Tobit estimator," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 365-382.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Performance of the Bootstrap for DEA Estimators and Iterating the Principle,"
0002, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 2000. "Performance of the Bootstrap for DEA Estimators and Iterating the Principle," Papers 2, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanen, Heikki, 1996.
"Efficiency Differences of Finnish Senior Secondary Schools: An Application of DEA and Tobit-Analysis,"
570, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanent, Heikki A., 1998. "Efficiency differences of finnish senior secondary schools: An application of DEA and Tobit analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 377-394, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 1999.
"Some Problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg Bootstrap Idea,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 67-80, February.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul W., 1997. "Some problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg bootstrap idea," CORE Discussion Papers 1997062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Biørn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2009.
"The effect of activity-based financing on hospital efficiency: A panel data analysis of DEA efficiency scores 1992-2000,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2002:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Biorn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2002. "The Effect of Activity-Based Financing on Hospital Efficiency: A Panel Data Analysis of DEA Efficiency Scores 1992-2000," MPRA Paper 8099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & John Wildman, 2003. "The efficiency of health production: re-estimating the WHO panel data using parametric and non-parametric approaches to provide additional information," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 493-504.
- Robert Rosenman & Kris Siddharthan & Melissa Ahern, 1997. "Output Efficiency of Health Maintenance Organizations in Florida," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 295-302.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- L. Steinmann & P. Zweifel, 2003. "On the (in)efficiency of Swiss hospitals," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 361-370.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsu:wpaper:rosenman-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Danielle Engelhardt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.