Some problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg bootstrap idea
This paper demonstrates that the bootstrap procedure suggested by Ferrier and Hirschberg (1997) gives inconsistent estimates. A very simple example is given to illustrate the statis- tical issues underlying nonparametric efficiency measurement and the problems with the Fer- rier/Hirschberg approach, and may serve as a primer on bootstrapping in nonparametric models of production processes.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Ferrier & Joseph Hirschberg, 1997. "Bootstrapping Confidence Intervals for Linear Programming Efficiency Scores: With an Illustration Using Italian Banking Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 19-33, March.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., "undated". "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Wilson, Paul W., 1992. "The Bias of Bootstrapped Versus Conventional Standard Errors in the General Linear and SUR Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 258-275, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)