Some problems with the Ferrier/Hirschberg bootstrap idea
This paper demonstrates that the bootstrap procedure suggested by Ferrier and Hirschberg (1997) gives inconsistent estimates. A very simple example is given to illustrate the statis- tical issues underlying nonparametric efficiency measurement and the problems with the Fer- rier/Hirschberg approach, and may serve as a primer on bootstrapping in nonparametric models of production processes.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Ferrier & Joseph Hirschberg, 1997. "Bootstrapping Confidence Intervals for Linear Programming Efficiency Scores: With an Illustration Using Italian Banking Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 19-33, March.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., "undated". "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Wilson, Paul W., 1992. "The Bias of Bootstrapped Versus Conventional Standard Errors in the General Linear and SUR Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 258-275, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1997062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.