A Wavelet Analysis of MENA Stock Markets
In this paper we revisit the issue of integration of emerging stock markets with each other and with the developed markets over different time horizons using weekly stock indices data from June 1997 until March 2005 of the five major MENA equity markets (Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Morocco and Turkey) and applying the discrete wavelet decomposition analysis. We decompose the weekly stock market returns of the main indices of the MENA countries into different time scale components using the non-decimated discrete wavelet transform and then analyze the time- scale relationship between the stock market indices of some developed areas (SP and Eurostoxx) and those of the MENA countries. The results from wavelet correlation analysis both among MENA stock markets and between these markets and some major stock markets suggests that MENA stock markets are nor regionally nor internationally integrated.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramsey, J.B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Working Papers 02-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Sergio Da Silva & Paulo Ceretta & Silvia Nunes & Newton Da Costa, Jr, 2005. "Stockmarket comovements revisited," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(3), pages 1-9.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2005:i:3:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramsey, James B. & Lampart, Camille, 1998. "Decomposition Of Economic Relationships By Timescale Using Wavelets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 49-71, March.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Staff Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2003.
"Are correlations of stock returns justified by subsequent changes in national outputs?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 777-811, November.
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2000. "Are Correlations of Stock Returns Justified by Subsequent Changes in National Outputs?," Working Papers 00-2, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Sam Hakim & Simon Neaime, 2000. "Mean-Reversion Across MENA Stock Markets: Implications for Portfolio Allocations," Working Papers 2026, Economic Research Forum, revised Sep 2000.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0512027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.