Structural change and phase variation: A re-examination of the q-model using wavelet exploratory analysis
This paper uses the structural change model and wavelet exploratory analysis to re-examine Tobin's q theory of investment. There are two main results. First, wavelet exploratory analysis provides a useful complementary approach to standard confirmatory statistical analysis. Specifically, using energy and time scale decomposition analyses, we find that the long-run is the dominant scale of variation for both aggregate investment and “measured” Tobin's q, and that for most of the sample there is a stable in-phase relationship between the smooth components of investment rate and q, with q slightly leading investments. Moreover, the analysis of the shift of the phase relationship of the long-term components reveals a “pure” smooth break occurring in the late 1970s, and a “spurious” smooth break in the early 1990s when the two smooth components resume their normal in-phase relationship. Second, when we combine the results from wavelet exploratory analysis and the multiple structural breaks test approach, we find that, contrary to the conventional literature, Tobin's q is an important determinant of aggregate investment, and its estimated coefficient can provide a plausible value for the implied adjustment cost of investment. Most importantly, we discover that the relationship depends on time scale; long time scales are more important than short.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/525148|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1999.
"The IT Revolution and the Stock Market,"
NBER Working Papers
6931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1999. "The IT Revolution and the Stock Market," Working Papers 99-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1999. "The IT Revolution and the Stock Market," RCER Working Papers 460, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, .
"A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
14-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Alpanda, Sami & Peralta-Alva, Adrian, 2007.
"Oil Crisis, Energy-Saving Technological Change and the Stock Market Crash of 1973-74,"
5896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sami Alpanda & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2010. "Oil Crisis, Energy-Saving Technological Change and the Stock Market Crash of 1973-74," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(4), pages 824-842, October.
- Adrian Peralta-Alva & Sami Alpanda, 2004. "Oil Crisis, Energy-Saving Technological Change and the Stock Market Crash of 1973-74," Macroeconomics 0405019, EconWPA.
- Sami Alpanda & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2008. "Oil crisis, energy-saving technological change and the stock market crash of 1973-74," Working Papers 2008-019, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Sami Alpanda & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003. "Oil Crisis, Energy-Saving Technological Change and the Stock Market Crash of 1973-74," Working Papers 0604, University of Miami, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Schaller, Huntley, 1990. "A Re-examination of the Q Theory of Investment Using U.S. Firm Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 309-25, Oct.-Dec..
- Robert E. Hall, 2000.
"The stock market and capital accumulation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Apr.
- Ramsey, James B. & Zhang, Zhifeng, 1995. "The Analysis of Foreign Exchange Data Using Waveform Dictionaries," Working Papers 95-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Schiantarelli, F. & Georgoutsos, D., 1990. "Monopolistic competition and the Q theory of investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1061-1078, July.
- John Laitner & Dmitriy Stolyarov, 2003. "Technological Change and the Stock Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1240-1267, September.
- Aguiar-Conraria, LuIÂ´s & Joana Soares, Maria, 2011. "Business cycle synchronization and the Euro: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 477-489, September.
- Jushan Bai, 1995.
"Estimating Multiple Breaks One at a Time,"
95-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Changyong Rhee & Lawrence Summers, 1993.
"The Stock Market, Profit, and Investment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 115-136.
- Blanchard, O. & Rhee, C. & Summers, L., 1990. "The Stock Market, Profit And Investment," RCER Working Papers 233, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Olivier Blanchard & Changyong Rhee & Lawrence Summers, 1990. "The Stock Market, Profit and Investment," NBER Working Papers 3370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000.
"Trending Time Series and Macroeconomic Activity: Some Present and Future Challenges,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1264, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 2001. "Trending time series and macroeconomic activity: Some present and future challenges," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 21-27, January.
- Caballero, Ricardo J., 1999.
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 813-862
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1993.
"Evidence on the role of cash flow for investment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Working Papers 95-01, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gilchrist, S. & Himmelberg, C.P., 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Papers 95-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005.
"Taxes, regulations, and the value of U.S. and U.K. corporations,"
309, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 767-796.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000715, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Marco Gallegati & Mauro Gallegati & James Bernard Ramsey & Willi Semmler, 2011. "The US Wage Phillips Curve across Frequencies and over Time," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(4), pages 489-508, 08.
- Walter Enders & Junsoo Lee, 2012. "A Unit Root Test Using a Fourier Series to Approximate Smooth Breaks," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(4), pages 574-599, 08.
- Stephen R. Bond & Jason G. Cummins, 2000. "The Stock Market and Investment in the New Economy: Some Tangible Facts and Intangible Fictions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 61-124.
- Ramsey, James B. & Gallegati, Marco & Gallegati, Mauro & Semmler, Willi, 2010. "Instrumental variables and wavelet decompositions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1498-1513, November.
- Crowley, Patrick M., 2010. "Long cycles in growth : explorations using new frequency domain techniques with US data," Research Discussion Papers 6/2010, Bank of Finland.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Azevedo, Nuno & Soares, Maria Joana, 2008. "Using wavelets to decompose the time–frequency effects of monetary policy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2863-2878.
- Daniel Levy & Haiwei Chen, 2005.
"Estimates of the Aggregate Quarterly Capital Stock for the Post- War U.S. Economy,"
0505008, EconWPA, revised 16 May 2005.
- Levy, Daniel & Chen, Haiwei, 1994. "Estimates of the Aggregate Quarterly Capital Stock for the Post-war U.S. Economy," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(3), pages 317-49, September.
- Thomas Philippon, 2009.
"The Bond Market's q,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1011-1056.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1990.
"Do Managerial Objectives Drive Bad Acquisitions?,"
27693803, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2009. "Averaging Estimators For Regressions With A Possible Structural Break," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1498-1514, December.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Ralf Becker & Walter Enders & Junsoo Lee, 2006. "A Stationarity Test in the Presence of an Unknown Number of Smooth Breaks," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 381-409, 05.
- Kim Sangbae & In Francis Haeuck, 2003. "The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-18, December.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Patrick M. Crowley & David G. Mayes, 2009. "How fused is the euro area core?: An evaluation of growth cycle co-movement and synchronization using wavelet analysis," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2008(1), pages 63-95.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Jushan Bai, 1997. "Estimation Of A Change Point In Multiple Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Steve Bond & Jason Cummins, 2001.
"Noisy share prices and the Q model of investment,"
IFS Working Papers
W01/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond, 2000. "Noisy Share Prices and the Q Model of Investment," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1320, Econometric Society.
- Gallegati, Marco, 2008. "Wavelet analysis of stock returns and aggregate economic activity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3061-3074, February.
- Ramazan Genay & Faruk Seļuk & Brandon Whitcher, 2003. "Systematic risk and timescales," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 108-116.
- Ramsey, J.B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Working Papers 02-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Simon Price & Christoph Schleicher, 2005. "Returns To Equity, Investment And Q: Evidence From The Uk," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(s1), pages 32-57, 09.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Staff Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
- Mark J. Holmes, 2010. "An Alternative Perspective on Tobin's Q and Aggregate Investment Expenditure," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 9(1), pages 23-28, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:streco:v:25:y:2013:i:c:p:60-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.