Decomposing Time-Frequency Relationship between Interest Rates and Share Prices in India through Wavelets
The study analyzed Granger-causality between interest rate (IR) and share prices (SP) for the India by using monthly data covering the period of 1990M1 to 2009M3. The time-frequency relationship between IR and SP was decomposed through continuous wavelet approach for the first time in the study. We found that for the Indian economy the causal and reverse causal relations between SP and IR vary across scale and period viz., during the late 1993 and early 1994, in 1-4 year scale, IR is lagging with cycle effects from SP, whereas during 1998-2001, in 8~12 year scale, IR is leading with cyclical effects on the SP. Further, results show that during 2003 to early 2005 (in 1~6 year scale) and again after late 2006 (in 9~14 year scale) IR is lagging and receiving anti-cyclical effects from SP.
|Date of creation:||07 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdullah Almasri & Ghazi Shukur, 2003. "An illustration of the causality relation between government spending and revenue using wavelet analysis on Finnish data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 571-584.
- Marco Gallegati, 2005.
"A Wavelet Analysis of MENA Stock Markets,"
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:44:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cifter, Atilla & Ozun, Alper, 2007. "The Effects of International F/X Markets on Domestic Currencies Using Wavelet Networks: Evidence from Emerging Markets," MPRA Paper 2482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cifter Atilla & Ozun Alper, 2008. "Estimating the Effects of Interest Rates on Share Prices in Turkey Using a Multi-Scale Causality Test," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 68-79, April.
- Mehmet Dalkir, 2004. "A new approach to causality in the frequency domain," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(44), pages 1-14.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk, 2004. "Extreme value theory and Value-at-Risk: Relative performance in emerging markets," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 287-303.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Joana Soares & Nuno Azevedo, 2007. "Using Wavelets to decompose time-frequency economic relations," NIPE Working Papers 17/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.