Systematic risk and time scales: New evidence from an application of wavelet approach to the emerging Gulf stock markets
The paper is the first attempt to estimate systematic risk 'beta' at different time scales in the context of the emerging Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) equity markets by applying a relatively new approach in finance known as wavelet analysis. Our results indicate that on average beta coefficients in all GCC countries show a multiscale tendency. This is consistent with our theoretical expectation that stock market investors have different time horizons due to different trading strategies and that is also reflective of the characteristics of the GCC markets in particular in that they are less developed, less liquid, involve more transaction costs, highly dependent on individual investors, and prone to infrequent trading. Further, we analyze the impact of different time scales on Value at Risk (VaR) and find that VaR measured at different time scales suggests that risk tends to be concentrated more at the higher frequencies (lower time scales) of the data. The results are plausible and intuitive and have strong policy implications.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Gallegati, 2005.
"A Wavelet Analysis of MENA Stock Markets,"
- Levhari, David & Levy, Haim, 1977. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model and the Investment Horizon," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 92-104, February.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Ramazan Genay & Faruk Seļuk & Brandon Whitcher, 2003. "Systematic risk and timescales," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 108-116.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Campbell, John, 2000.
"Asset Pricing at the Millennium,"
3294737, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell, 2000. "Asset Pricing at the Millennium," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1897, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- John Y. Campbell, 2000. "Asset Pricing at the Millennium," NBER Working Papers 7589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Sangbae & In, Francis, 2005. "The relationship between stock returns and inflation: new evidence from wavelet analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 435-444, June.
- Osamah M. Al-Khazali & David K. Ding & Chong Soo Pyun, 2007. "A New Variance Ratio Test of Random Walk in Emerging Markets: A Revisit," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 303-317, 05.
- Karuppiah, Jeyanthi & Los, Cornelis A., 2005.
"Wavelet multiresolution analysis of high-frequency Asian FX rates, Summer 1997,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 211-246.
- Cornelis A. Los & Jeyanthi Karuppiah, 2004. "Wavelet Multiresolution Analysis of High-Frequency Asian FX Rates, Summer 1997," Finance 0409037, EconWPA.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2005.
"The International CAPM and a wavelet-based decomposition of Value at Risk,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Fernandez Viviana P, 2005. "The International CAPM and a Wavelet-Based Decomposition of Value at Risk," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Viviana Fernández, 2005. "The International CAPM and a wavelet-based decomposition of Value at Risk," Documentos de Trabajo 203, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Viviana Fernandez, 2006. "The International CAPM and a Wavelet-Based Decomposition of Value at Risk," NBER Working Papers 12233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pogue, Gerald A. & Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "The Market Model Applied to European Common Stocks: Some Empirical Results," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(06), pages 917-944, December.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:44:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S. P. & Wasley, Charles, 1989. "The relation between the return interval and betas : Implications for the size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 79-100, June.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2005. "Multiscale systematic risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Bjornson, Bruce & Hong Shik Kim & Lee, Kiseok, 1999. "Low and high frequency macroeconomic forces in asset pricing," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 77-100.
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Josev, Thomas, 1997. "The impact of the return interval on the estimation of systematic risk," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 357-376, July.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Kalman J. Cohen & Gabriel A. Hawawini & Steven F. Maier & Robert A. Schwartz & David K. Whitcomb, 1983. "Estimating and Adjusting for the Intervalling-Effect Bias in Beta," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(1), pages 135-148, January.
- Kim, Sangbae & In, Francis, 2007. "On the relationship between changes in stock prices and bond yields in the G7 countries: Wavelet analysis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 167-179, April.
- Harvey, Campbell R., 1989. "Time-varying conditional covariances in tests of asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 289-317.
- Francis In & Sangbae Kim & Vijaya Marisetty & Robert Faff, 2008. "Analysing the performance of managed funds using the wavelet multiscaling method," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 55-70, July.
- Frankfurter, George M. & Leung, Wai K. & Brockman, Paul D., 1994. "Compounding period length and the market model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 179-193, August.
- Abraham Abraham, 2002. "Testing the Random Walk Behavior and Efficiency of the Gulf Stock Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 469-480, 08.
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Faff, Robert W., 1997. "Testing the conditional CAPM and the effect of intervaling: A note," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 527-537, December.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1971. "On the Assessment of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2006. "The CAPM and value at risk at different time-scales," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 203-219.
- Hahn Shik Lee, 2004. "International transmission of stock market movements: a wavelet analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 197-201.
- René Garcia & Eric Ghysels, 1996.
"Structural Change and Asset Pricing in Emerging Markets,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene & Ghysels, Eric, 1998. "Structural change and asset pricing in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 455-473, June.
- Cohen, Kalman J, et al, 1980. " Implications of Microstructure Theory for Empirical Research on Stock Price Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 249-57, May.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Ghosh, Asim K, 1992. "Market Model Corrected for Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity and the Small Firm Effect," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(3), pages 277-83, Fall.
- Mehmet Dalkir, 2004. "A new approach to causality in the frequency domain," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(44), pages 1-14.
- Kim Sangbae & In Francis Haeuck, 2003. "The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-18, December.
- Corhay, Albert, 1992. "The intervalling effect bias in beta: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 61-73, February.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- McInish, Thomas H & Wood, Robert A, 1986. " Adjusting for Beta Bias: An Assessment of Alternative Techniques: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 277-86, March.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Differentiating intraday seasonalities through wavelet multi-scaling," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(3), pages 543-556.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-95, June.
- Ramsey, J.B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Working Papers 02-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hawawini, Gabriel & Cohen, Kalman & Maier, Steven & Schwartz, Robert & Whitcomb, David, 1980. "Implications of microstructure theory for empirical research in stock price behavior," MPRA Paper 33976, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdullah Almasri & Ghazi Shukur, 2003. "An illustration of the causality relation between government spending and revenue using wavelet analysis on Finnish data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 571-584.
- Fung, William K. H. & Schwartz, Robert A. & Whitcomb, David K., 1985. "Adjusting for the intervalling effect bias in beta : A Test using Paris Bourse Data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 443-460, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:19:y:2010:i:1:p:10-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.