A new approach to stochastic frontier estimation: DEA+
The outcome of a production process might not only deviate from a theoretical maximum due to inefficiency, but also because of non-controllable influences. This raises the issue of reliability of Data Envelopment Analysis in noisy environments. I propose to assume an i.i.d. data generating process with bounded noise component, so that the following approach is feasible: Use DEA to estimate a pseudo frontier first (nonparametric shape estimation). Next apply a ML- technique to the DEA-estimated efficiencies, to estimate the scalar value by which this pseudo-frontier must be shifted downward to get the true production frontier (location estimation). I prove, that this approach yields consistent estimates of the true frontier.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- Kneip, A. & Simar, L., "undated".
"A general framework for frontier estimation with panel data,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1224, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KNEIP, Alois & SIMAR, Léopold, 1995. "A General Framework for Frontier Estimation with Panel Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1995060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kittelsen,S.A.C., 1999. "Monte Carlo simulations of DEA efficiency measures and hypothesis tests," Memorandum 09/1999, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Simar, L., "undated".
"Aspects of statistical analysis in DEA-type frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1226, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR , Léopold, 1995. "Aspects of Statistical Analysis in DEA-Type Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1994. "Stochastic frontier production analysis: Measuring performance of public telecommunications in 24 OECD countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 466-478, May.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwwuw:wuwp039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.