Firm and Employee Effects of an Enterprise Information System: Micro-econometric Evidence
We investigate the impact of adopting an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system on performance changes and employee outcomes in a retail chain. We find that: (i) sales and inventory turnover initially drop by 7 % and recover in 6-12 months; (ii) inventory turnover recovers more quickly for establishments that adopt ERP later; (iii) employee outcomes, including increased workload, greater job difficulty and enhanced multitasking, vary significantly over time, though implications for employee welfare are ambiguous.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Man-Kit & Cheung, Waiman & Cheng, Chun-Hung & Yeung, Jeff H.Y., 2008. "Understanding ERP system adoption from the user's perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 928-942, June.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2002.
"Upstairs, downstairs: Computers and skills on two floors of a large bank,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(3), pages 432-447, April.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2002. "Upstairs, Downstairs: Computers and Skills on Two Floors of a Large Bank," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(3), pages 432-447, April.
- Maryellen R. Kelley, 1994. "Productivity and Information Technology: The Elusive Connection," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(11), pages 1406-1425, November.
- Motwani, Jaideep & Mirchandani, Dinesh & Madan, Manu & Gunasekaran, A., 2002. "Successful implementation of ERP projects: Evidence from two case studies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 83-96, January.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Asymptotic properties of a robust variance matrix estimator for panel data when T is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 597-620, December.
- Botta-Genoulaz, Valerie & Millet, Pierre-Alain, 2006. "An investigation into the use of ERP systems in the service sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1-2), pages 202-221, February.
- Plaza, Malgorzata & Rohlf, Katrin, 2008. "Learning and performance in ERP implementation projects: A learning-curve model for analyzing and managing consulting costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 72-85, September.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2010-992. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.