Innovation strategy, firm survival and relocation: The case of Hong Kong-owned manufacturing in Guangdong province, China
Based on a survey adapted from the Fourth European Community Innovation Survey (CIS-4), this study finds that, in the changing manufacturing environment of Guangdong province in China, Hong Kong-owned businesses that generate a higher share in new product sales as a percentage of total sales or engage in R&D or collaborative innovation activities in China are more likely to survive and remain in Guangdong. The study fills a gap in the literature by investigating the effects of innovation on the survival and relocation of Hong Kong-owned manufacturing firms in Guangdong. The results support policy initiatives that strengthen collaborative ties among key innovation system actors.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ,, 2007. "African Development Report 2007," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199238866, March.
- Huang, Can & Sharif, Naubahar, 2009. "Manufacturing dynamics and spillovers: The case of Guangdong Province and Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan (HKMT)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 813-828, June.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2004.
"Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 3-35, 03.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Robert C. Feenstra, 2001. "Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods," NBER Working Papers 8088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Eleonora Bartoloni & Maurizio Baussola, 2001. "The Determinants of Technology Adoption in Italian Manufacturing Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 305-328, November.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2007," African Development Report, African Development Bank, number 24 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 8.
- Eom, Boo-Young & Lee, Keun, 2010. "Determinants of industry-academy linkages and, their impact on firm performance: The case of Korea as a latecomer in knowledge industrialization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 625-639, June.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, June.
- Christian Rammer & Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2009.
"Innovation success of non-R&D-performers: substituting technology by management in SMEs,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 35-58, June.
- Spielkamp, Alfred & Czarnitzki, Dirk & Rammer, Christian, 2008. "Innovation Success of Non-R&D-Performers: Substituting Technology by Management in SMEs," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-092, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Andersen, Torben G., 2006.
"Editor Report 2005,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 505-505, October.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lewbel, Arthur & Ng, Serena, 2007. "Editors' Report 2006," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 503-503, October.
- Andersen, Torben G., 2005. "Editor's Report 2004," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 495-495, October.
- Yam, Richard C.M. & Lo, William & Tang, Esther P.Y. & Lau, Antonio K.W., 2011. "Analysis of sources of innovation, technological innovation capabilities, and performance: An empirical study of Hong Kong manufacturing industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 391-402, April.
- Steinfeld, Edward S., 2004. "China's Shallow Integration: Networked Production and the New Challenges for Late Industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1971-1987, November.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2006," African Development Report, African Development Bank, number 23 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 8.
- William Lazonick, 2004. "Indigenous Innovation and Economic Development: Lessons from China's Leap into the Information Age," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 273-297.
- Samira Oukarfi & Maurice Baslé, 2009. "Public-sector financial incentives for business relocation and effectiveness measures based on company profile and geographic zone," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 509-526, June.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki & Yun, Xiao, 2007.
"China's innovation system reform and growing industry and science linkages,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1251-1260, October.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi & Xiao Yun, 2005. "China's Innovation System Reform and Growing Industry and Science Linkages," Discussion papers 05011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yu, Tony Fu-Lai, 1998. "Adaptive entrepreneurship and the economic development of Hong Kong," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 897-911, May.
- Clayton M. Christensen & Fernando F. Suárez & James M. Utterback, 1998. "Strategies for Survival in Fast-Changing Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S207-S220, December.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2006," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 62 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 8.
- Martin, Ron, 1999. "The New 'Geographical Turn' in Economics: Some Critical Reflections," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 65-91, January.
- Honglin Zhang, Kevin, 2005. "Why does so much FDI from Hong Kong and Taiwan go to Mainland China?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 293-307.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1987. "Efficient estimation of limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 231-250, November.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005. "A matter of life and death: innovation and firm survival," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1167-1192, December.
- Klepper, Steven & Simons, Kenneth L, 1997. "Technological Extinctions of Industrial Firms: An Inquiry into Their Nature and Causes," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 379-460, March.
- Audretsch, David B, 1991. "New-Firm Survival and the Technological Regime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 441-50, August.
- Enright, Michael J. & Scott, Edith E. & Dodwell, David, 1997. "The Hong Kong Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195903225, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2010052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.