Public-sector financial incentives for business relocation and effectiveness measures based on company profile and geographic zone
Do public financial incentives still influence business location and relocation decisions? Examined herein will be empirical evidence drawn from three regional policies in three regions of France. This study will propose various location modeling types, both older and more contemporary cost-minimization models. We will also be proposing an empirical test to determine the effectiveness of public financial incentives for location and relocation decisions on the basis of profiles from 301 companies set up in three French regions. Our results underscore that in this case, subsidies do not trigger the dynamic of self-sustaining territorial construction. This finding proves less detrimental for core and intermediate regions than that for outlying region (like the Limousin). These results could lend confirmation to the premise that innovative companies should prefer the advantages associated with technology-based externalities, which for the most part embody tacit knowledge, in comparison with the positive perception of subsidy awards. The simple financial public location incentives from the past should be challenged anew.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charlie Karlsson, 1997. "Product development, innovation networks, infrastructure and agglomeration economies," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 31(3), pages 235-258.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996.
"Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996. "Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 700-721, Winter.
- Zoltán Ács & Attila Varga, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 323-334, 02.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Attila Varga, 2004. "Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000.
"Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey," LIUC Papers in Economics 84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Zimmermann, J.B., 1993. "L'industrie du logiciel: de la protection a la normalisation," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 93b05, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 1996. "Localized knowledge percolation processes and information networks," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 281-295.
- Colletis, G. & Gilly, J.-P. & Leroux, I. & Pecqueur, B. & Perrat, j. & Rychen, F. & Zimmermann, J.-B., 1999. "Construction territoriale et dynamiques productives," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a12, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Pascale Roux, 2001. "Dynamiques organisationnelles, interactions localisées et innovation technologique. Une investigation empirique," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(1), pages 75-96.
- John Bachtler, 2003. "Reforming EU cohesion policy: An assessment of the debate," Intereconomics- Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 38(6), pages 302-305, November.
- Love, James H. & Roper, Stephen, 2001. "Location and network effects on innovation success: evidence for UK, German and Irish manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 643-661, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:43:y:2009:i:2:p:509-526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.