From Trends in Commodities and Manufactures to Country Terms of Trade
The debate about the Prebisch-Singer thesis has focussed on primary commodities with some extensions to manufactures. As we think that the link between the terms of trade and longrun development, growth and convergence is the ability of exports to enhance investment through importing capital goods we analyse trends in country terms-of-trade. We use two data sets. We find that for the poor countries the terms of trade of goods and services are falling at a rate that is less negative than for net-barter terms of trade and those found earlier for primary commodities.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ardeni, Pier Giorgio & Wright, Brian, 1992. "The Prebisch-Singer Hypothesis: A Reappraisal Independent of Stationarity Hypotheses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 803-12, July.
- Dennis Epple & Bennett McCallum, .
"Simultaneous Equation Econometrics: The Missing Example,"
GSIA Working Papers
2004-E6, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Dennis Epple & Bennett T. Mccallum, 2006. "Simultaneous Equation Econometrics: The Missing Example," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 374-384, April.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
125, Center for Global Development.
- Matthias G. Lutz, 1999. "Commodity terms of trade and individual countries' net barter terms of trade: Is there an empirical relationship?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 859-870.
- Mutz Christine & Ziesemer Thomas, 2005.
"Simultaneous Estimation of Income and Price Elasticities of Export Demand, Scale Economies and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Brazil,"
004, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Christine Mutz & Thomas Ziesemer, 2008. "Simultaneous estimation of income and price elasticities of export demand, scale economies and total factor productivity growth for Brazil," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(22), pages 2921-2937.
- Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W., 1991. "Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 333-340, April.
- Bidarkota, Prasad & Crucini, Mario J, 2000.
"Commodity Prices and the Terms of Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 647-66, November.
- Sapsford, David & Balasubramanyam, V. N., 1994.
"The long-run behavior of the relative price of primary commodities: Statistical evidence and policy implications,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1737-1745, November.
- David Sapsford & V.N.Balasubramanyam, . "The Long-Run Behaviour of the Relative Price of Primary Commodities: Statistical Evidence and Policy Implications," Working Papers ec7/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Hans Singer, 1999. "Beyond terms of trade-convergence and divergence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 911-916.
- Habiyaremye, Alexis & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2006. "Absorptive Capacity and Export Diversification in Sub-Saharan African Countries," MERIT Working Papers 030, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bleaney, Michael F & Greenaway, David, 1993. "Long-Run Trends in the Relative Price of Primary Commodities and in the Terms of Trade of Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 349-63, July.
- Bardhan, Pranab K & Lewis, Sydney, 1970.
"Models of Growth with Imported Inputs,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 37(148), pages 373-85, November.
- World Bank, 2009. "World Development Indicators 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4367.
- Bleaney, Michael & Greenaway, David, 2001. "The impact of terms of trade and real exchange rate volatility on investment and growth in sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 491-500, August.
- Ziesemer, Thomas HW, 1994. "Economic Development and Endogenous Terms-of-Trade Determination: Review and Reinterpretation of the Prebisch-Singer Thesis," MPRA Paper 54864, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lutz, Matthias G, 1999. "A General Test of the Prebisch-Singer Hypothesis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 44-57, February.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2010022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.