Creation and Destruction of Comparative Advantage by Public Investment in the Transport Infrastructure of Transit Economies and by Environmental Taxes
In this paper we show conditions under which the accumulation of public infrastructure capital over time may create the comparative advantage of the production of transport services and destroy that of the production of goods in a market equilibrium of a transit economy. We also show conditions under which it will not change comparative advantage. Moreover, we also show the conditions under which an environmental tax on pollution from transport will shift the specialization back to the production of goods. In the model used, specialization is determined by: the productivity of the sectors; the transit volume; the taxes raised for the use of roads; the world market prices of goods and transport services; and environmental taxes. Gains from trade are analysed and comparative-static properties of globalization and tax policy are discussed.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Casas, F R, 1983. "International Trade with Produced Transport Services," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 89-109, March.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B., 1997. "Productive government expenditures and long-run growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 183-204, January.
- Brezis, Elise S & Krugman, Paul R & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1993. "Leapfrogging in International Competition: A Theory of Cycles in National Technological Leadership," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1211-1219, December.
- McMillan, John, 1978. "A Dynamic Analysis of Public Intermediate Goods Supply in Open Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 665-678, October.
- Mainwaring, L, 1986. "The Theory of International Transport Costs with Tradeable Intermediate Goods," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 33(2), pages 111-123, May.
- Casas, Fran?ois R. & Choi, E. Kwan, 1989. "Transport Costs and Immiserizing Growth Under Variable Returns to Scale," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10599, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamer:1998019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.