Knowledge Base Determinants of Technology Sourcing in the Clean Development Mechanism Projects
The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) is one of the three greenhouse gas emission reduction and trading instruments of the Kyoto Protocol (KP). The CDM allows governments and business entities from developed countries to offset their emissions liabilities by reducing or avoiding emissions in developing countries, where it is often cheaper to do so. Examples of CDM projects include the installation of various renewable energy producing facilities, cutting the GHG emissions in industry and waste management, or projects focused on improving energy efficiency. From the sustainable development perspectives CDM has been alleged as a new channel of transfer and diffusion of climate friendly technologies (CFT) in developing countries. However we are evidencing that the majority of the CDM projects deploy local sources of technology, which challenges the North- South technology transfer paradigm established under the sustainable development agenda of the KP. This paper is an attempt to explain technology sourcing patterns in CDM projects through employment of knowledge base determinants. On the basis of an empirical analysis we conclude that in countries with a stronger knowledge base in CFT, CDM project implementers tend to go for local and combined technologies and less for foreign technologies.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe Adam B. & Stavins Robert N., 1995. "Dynamic Incentives of Environmental Regulations: The Effects of Alternative Policy Instruments on Technology Diffusion," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages S43-S63, November.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Working Papers 2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Post-Print hal-00397198, HAL.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," CEIS Research Paper 44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," SPRU Working Paper Series 111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- K. Millock, 2002. "Technology transfers in the Clean Development Mechanism: an incentives issue," Post-Print hal-00716425, HAL.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Hascic & David Popp, 2008.
"Renewable Energy Policies And Technological Innovation: Evidence Based On Patent Counts,"
NBER Working Papers
13760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Haščič & David Popp, 2010. "Renewable Energy Policies and Technological Innovation: Evidence Based on Patent Counts," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 133-155, January.
- Schneider, Malte & Holzer, Andreas & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2008. "Understanding the CDM's contribution to technology transfer," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2920-2928, August.
- Millock, Katrin, 2002. "Technology transfers in the Clean Development Mechanism: an incentives issue," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 449-466, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2009015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.