Salarios Femeninos en el Uruguay ¿Existe un Techo de Cristal?
The aim of this article is to answer the question of whether women in Uruguay face a glass ceiling. To do this, the conditional gender wage gap is evaluated along the empirical wage distribution function. Separated quantile regression for women and men are estimated. We evaluate the counterfactual gap between the observed male wage and what this would be if men?s characteristics were remunerated in accordance with women?s wage distribution. After this the counterfactual gap is also evaluated for women?s wages. The results suggest that women?s wages are a¤ected by a glass ceiling.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1998. "Estimating Labour Market Discrimination with Selectivity Corrected Wage Equations: Methodological Considerations and an Illustration from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 1915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- James Albrecht & Anders Bjorklund & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 145-177, January.
- Albrecht, James & Björklund, Anders & Vroman, Susan, 2001. "Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?," IZA Discussion Papers 282, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fernanda Rivas & Máximo Rossi, 2002. "Evolución de las diferencias salariales entre el sector público y el sector privado en Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0202, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Maximo Rossi & Fernanda Rivas, 2004. "Evolución de las diferencias salariales entre el sector público y el sector privado en Uruguay," Labor and Demography 0409010, EconWPA.
- Javier Gardeazabal & Arantza Ugidos, "undated". "Measuring the gender gap at different quantiles of the wage distribution," Studies on the Spanish Economy 108, FEDEA.
- Juan J. Dolado & Vanesa Llorens, 2004. "Gender Wage Gaps By Education In Spain: Glass Floors Vs. Glass Ceilings," Working Papers wp2004_03, CEMFI. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)