Salarios Femeninos en el Uruguay ¿Existe un Techo de Cristal?
The aim of this article is to answer the question of whether women in Uruguay face a glass ceiling. To do this, the conditional gender wage gap is evaluated along the empirical wage distribution function. Separated quantile regression for women and men are estimated. We evaluate the counterfactual gap between the observed male wage and what this would be if men?s characteristics were remunerated in accordance with women?s wage distribution. After this the counterfactual gap is also evaluated for women?s wages. The results suggest that women?s wages are a¤ected by a glass ceiling.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neuman, Shoshana & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1998. "Estimating Labour Market Discrimination with Selectivity Corrected Wage Equations: Methodological Considerations and an Illustration from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 1915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albrecht, James & Björklund, Anders & Vroman, Susan, 2001.
"Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
282, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Maximo Rossi & Fernanda Rivas, 2004.
"Evolución de las diferencias salariales entre el sector público y el sector privado en Uruguay,"
Labor and Demography
- Fernanda Rivas & Máximo Rossi, 2002. "Evolución de las diferencias salariales entre el sector público y el sector privado en Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0202, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Javier Gardeazabal & Arantza Ugidos, . "Measuring the gender gap at different quantiles of the wage distribution," Studies on the Spanish Economy 108, FEDEA.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Juan J. Dolado & Vanesa Llorens, 2004. "Gender Wage Gaps By Education In Spain: Glass Floors Vs. Glass Ceilings," Working Papers wp2004_03, CEMFI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:0504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Doneschi)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.