Evolución de las diferencias salariales entre el sector público y el sector privado en Uruguay
The aim of this paper was: i) to study the evolution of the wage differential between the public and the private sector and, ii) to analyze the impact of said evolution on income distribution. The main conclusions of this paper are the following: -The average hourly wage is higher in the public sector than in the private sector. -The basic wage is substantially higher in the public sector than in the private sector, although the returns to human capital are higher in the private sector. Differences in the basic wage have varied significantly since 1997. -The decomposition of differences in wages between the public and private sector has shown a total advantage for the public sector since 1997. -Wage inequality levels are always higher in the private sector than in the public one. During the period under study there has been an important change in terms of the contribution of each sector to total inequality. The explanation of total inequality by public wages increased considerably.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neuman, Shoshana & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1998. "Estimating Labour Market Discrimination with Selectivity Corrected Wage Equations: Methodological Considerations and an Illustration from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 1915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Miles & Máximo Rossi, 1999. "Geographic concentration and structure of wages in developing countries: the case of Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1399, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Terrell, Katherine, 1993. "Public-private wage differentials in Haiti Do public servants earn a rent?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 293-314, December.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 1999. "Generalized Selection Bias and The Decomposition of Wage Differentials," IZA Discussion Papers 69, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:0202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Doneschi)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.