Bilateral oligopoly and quantity competition
Bilateral oligopoly is a strategic market game with two commodities, allowing strategic behavior on both sides of the market. When the number of buyers is large, such a game approximates a game of quantity competition played by sellers. We present examples which show that this is not typically a Cournot game. Rather, we introduce an alternative game of quantity competition (the market share game) and, appealing to results in the literature on contests, show that this yields the same equilibria as the many-buyer limit of bilateral oligopoly, under standard assumptions on costs and preferences. We also show that the market share and Cournot games have the same equilibria if and only if the price elasticity of the latter is one. These results lead to necessary and suÂ¢ cient conditions for the Cournot game to be a good approximation to bilateral oligopoly with many buyers and to an ordering of total output when they are not satisfied.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean & VIAL, Jean-Philippe, .
"Oligopoly "à la Cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Vial, Jean-Philippe, 1972. "Oligopoly "A la cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 381-400, June.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2005.
"Asymmetric contests with general technologies,"
Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 923-946, November.
- Stein, William E, 2002. " Asymmetric Rent-Seeking with More Than Two Contestants," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(3-4), pages 325-36, December.
- Alex Dickson & Roger Hartley, 2007.
"The strategic Marshallian cross,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2007/13, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & MICHEL, Philippe, 1992.
"Oligopoly equilibria in exchange economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1992047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, J. & Michel, P., 1992. "Oligopoly Equilibria in Exchange Economies," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.26, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Michel, P., . "Oligopoly equilibrium in exchange economies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1265, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Novshek, William, 1985.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Cournot-Walras Equilibrium as a Subgame Perfect Equilibrium," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 837, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Szidarovszky, F & Yakowitz, S, 1977. "A New Proof of the Existence and Uniqueness of the Cournot Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 787-89, October.
- R Cornes & R Hartley, 2005. "The Geometry of Aggregative Games," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0514, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Szidarovszky, Ferenc & Okuguchi, Koji, 1997. "On the Existence and Uniqueness of Pure Nash Equilibrium in Rent-Seeking Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 135-140, January.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
- Codognato, Giulio, 1995. "Cournot-Walras and Cournot Equilibria in Mixed Markets: A Comparison," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 361-70, March.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:str:wpaper:0922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.