The strategic Marshallian cross
We prove existence and uniqueness of non-autarkic equilibria in bilateral oligopoly assuming only that preferences are binormal and satisfy a weakened version of gross substitutes. We permit complete heterogeneity of preferences and our analysis exploits the fact that payoffs depend only on own strategy and two universal aggregates. This allows us to define strategic versions of supply and demand curves such that non-autarkic Nash equilibria are in 1-1 correspondence with intersections of these curves. The same approach can be used to establish comparative statics under the assumptions above. As examples, we focus on adding players and changing endowments. This competitive approach also allows us to conclude that much of conventional Marshallian analysis is robust to strategic manipulation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartley, Roger & Richard Cornes, 2003.
"Joint Production Games with Mixed Sharing Rules,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
99, Royal Economic Society.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2002. "Joint Production Games with Mixed Sharing Rules," Game Theory and Information 0211003, EconWPA.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2002. "Joint Production Games with Mixed Sharing Rules," Keele Economics Research Papers KERP 2002/16, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Rabah Amir & Siddhartha Sahi & Martin Shubik, 1986.
"A Strategic Market Game with Complete Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
814R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl & Spear, Stephen E., 1992. "The market game: existence and structure of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 271-299.
- Bloch, Francis & Ghosal, Sayantan, 1997.
"Stable Trading Structures in Bilateral Oligopolies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 368-384, June.
- BLOCH, Francis & GHOSAL, Sayantan, 1994. "Stable Trading Structures in Bilateral Oligopolies," CORE Discussion Papers 1994056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1265 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Shubik, Martin, 1978. "A theory of money and financial institutions. 28. The non-cooperative equilibria of a closed trading economy with market supply and bidding strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
- Corchon, Luis C., 1994. "Comparative statics for aggregative games the strong concavity case," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 151-165, December.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2005.
"Asymmetric contests with general technologies,"
Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 923-946, November.
- Cornes, Richard & Hartley, Roger, 2003. " Risk Aversion, Heterogeneity and Contests," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 117(1-2), pages 1-25, October.
- Xavier Vives, 1987. "Small Income Effects: A Marshallian Theory of Consumer Surplus and Downward Sloping Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 87-103.
- Bloch, Francis & Ferrer, Helene, 2001. "Trade Fragmentation and Coordination in Strategic Market Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 301-316, November.
- William Novshek, 1985. "On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:gamebe:v:64:y:2008:i:2:p:514-532. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.