An issue with own-rates: Keynes borrows from Sraffa , Sraffa criticises Keynes, and present-day commentators get hold of the wrong end of the stick
Scholars who in recent years have studied the Sraffa papers held in the Wren Library of Trinity College, Cambridge, have concluded from SraffaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s critical (but unpublished) observations on Chapter 17 of KeynesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s General Theory that he rejected KeynesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s central proposition that the rate of interest on money may come to Ã¢â‚¬Ëœrule the roostÃ¢â‚¬â„¢, thus dragging the economy into recession. While Sraffa does indeed express dissatisfaction with Chapter 17, the commentators have, we believe, misunderstood his concern: we suggest that he was unhappy with the Ã¢â‚¬Ëœown-ratesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ terminology employed by Keynes rather than with the substance of the theory developed in Chapter 17.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sir William Duncan Building, 130 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0GE|
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickson, Alex & Hartley, Roger, 2009.
"Bilateral oligopoly and quantity competition,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2009-52, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Alex Dickson & Roger Hartley, 2009. "Bilateral oligopoly and quantity competition," Working Papers 0922, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Alex Dickson & Roger Hartley, 2009. "Bilateral oligopoly and quantity competition," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0911, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2005.
"Asymmetric contests with general technologies,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(4), pages 923-946, November.
- Dickson, Alex & Hartley, Roger, 2008.
"The strategic Marshallian cross,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 514-532, November.
- Giulio Codognato & Ludovic A. Julien, 2013.
"Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Cobb-Douglas Continuum of Traders,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 79(4), pages 75-88.
- Giulio CODOGNATO & Ludovic A. JULIEN, 2013. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Cobb-Douglas Continuum of Traders," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2013044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Giulio Codognato & Ludovic A. Julien, 2013. "Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a Cobb-Douglas continuum of traders," Post-Print hal-01385880, HAL.
- Perez-Castrillo, J David & Verdier, Thierry, 1992. "A General Analysis of Rent-Seeking Games," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(3), pages 335-350, April.
- Alex Dickson, 2013. "The Effects of Entry in Bilateral Oligopoly," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(3), pages 283-283, June.
- Alex Dickson & Roger Hartley, 2013. "On ‘Nice’ And ‘Very Nice’ Autarkic Equilibria In Strategic Market Games," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 81(5), pages 745-762, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:str:wpaper:1319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.