Identifying Key Drivers and Bottlenecks in the Adoption of E-Book Readers in Korea
This study seeks to describe the dynamic effects of innovation characteristics and consumer innovativeness as conditioned by consumer decision making in the Korean E-book reader market. Dedicated Korean E-book readers have received little research attention over the last few years, as consumers’ interest in E-book readers has not been as high as was expected. This study identifies the barriers and bottlenecks impacting Korean consumers’ adoption of dedicated E-book readers based on the theories of innovation adoption and consumer behavior. Our estimation results indicate that complexity was the main bottleneck blocking the adoption of dedicated E-book readers in every decision-making stage (cognitive-affective-behavioral), whereas observability was the driver stimulating adoption in every stage. Moreover, the relative advantage of dedicated E-book readers is significant only in the affective stage, while compatibility is meaningful only in the behavioral stage. The results of this study provide useful guidelines to help marketers and engineers design dedicated e-book readers and promote them in Korea.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2016|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2016|
|Publication status:||Published in Telematics and Informatics, Elsevier.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 599 Gwanak-Ro, Gwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-744|
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McFadden, Daniel, 1980. "Econometric Models for Probabilistic Choice among Products," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages 13-29, July.
- Netsanet Haile & Jorn Altmann, 2015. "Value Creation in Software Service Platforms," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2015123, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2015.
- Venkatraman, Meera P. & Price, Linda L., 1990. "Differentiating between cognitive and sensory innovativeness : Concepts, measurement, and implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 293-315, June.
- B. Vandecasteele & M. Geuens, 2008. "Motivated Consumer Innovativeness: Concept and Measurement," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/532, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- McCulloch, Robert & Rossi, Peter E., 1994. "An exact likelihood analysis of the multinomial probit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 207-240.
- Netsanet Haile & Jörn Altmann, 2016.
"Structural analysis of value creation in software service platforms,"
Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 26(2), pages 129-142, May.
- Netsanet Haile & Jorn Altmann, 2015. "Structural Analysis of Value Creation in Software Service Platforms," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2015127, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2015.
- Gardial, Sarah Fisher, et al, 1994. " Comparing Consumers' Recall of Prepurchase and Postpurchase Product Evaluation Experiences," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 548-560, March.
- Selam Abrham Gebregiorgis & Jorn Altmann, 2012. "IT Service Platforms: Their Value Creation Model and the Impact of their Level of Openness on their Adoption," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201295, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jun 2012.
- Ratneshwar, S & Chaiken, Shelly, 1991. " Comprehension's Role in Persuasion: The Case of Its Moderating Effect on the Persuasive Impact of," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 52-62, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:2016129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.