Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries
This paper presents alternative specifications of the production functions of a large panel of Swedish firms for the period 1992-2000. The period can be characterized as a transition when long-run productivity growth in the Swedish economy improved from being among the weakest to one of the strongest within the OECD. In order to present a detailed exploration of this dramatic change, the time trend and general index models are applied to estimate total factor productivity (TFP) growth, rate of technical change and returns to scale. The models are extended to allow for firm-specific as well as time-varying technical change. The parametric TFP measures are also compared with the non-parametric Solow residual, and several hypotheses are tested to explain the growth patterns in the Swedish economy. It is found that the improved growth rate, initially starting in large exporting manufacturing firms, after a deep economic crisis at the beginning of the 1990s, spilled over to the rest of the economy, both manufacturing and services.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 599 Gwanak-Ro, Gwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-744|
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Philippe Aghion & Christopher Harris & Peter Howitt & John Vickers, 2001.
"Competition, Imitation and Growth with Step-by-Step Innovation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 68(3), pages 467-492.
- Harris, Christopher & Howitt, Peter & Vickers, John & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Competition, Imitation and Growth with Step-by-Step Innovation," Scholarly Articles 12375013, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Loof, 2009.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200912, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Donghyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Lööf, 2012. "Technical change and total factor productivity growth for Swedish manufacturing and service industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(18), pages 2373-2391, June.
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2009. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 193, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Donghyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Lööf, 2011. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries," Post-Print hal-00693831, HAL.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Léopold Simar, 2003. "Detecting Outliers in Frontier Models: A Simple Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 391-424, November.
- Dan Johansson, 2005. "The Turnover of Firms and Industry Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 487-495, 06.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002.
"Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
8819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," Memorandum 02/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel S, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating firms and aggregate innovation," Staff Report 300, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Kalirajan, Kali, 2000. "Singapore's Manufacturing Sector's TFP Growth: A Decomposition Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 828-839, December.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-746, August.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-293, June.
- Kim, Euysung, 2006. "The impact of family ownership and capital structures on productivity performance of Korean manufacturing firms: Corporate governance and the "chaebol problem"," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 209-233, June.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Lim, David, 1980. "Tax Incentives and Resource Utilization in a Small Less Developed Country," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(34), pages 22-30, June.
- Sheehan, Maura, 1997. "The Evolution of Technical Efficiency in the Northern Ireland Manufacturing Sector, 1973-1985," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(1), pages 59-81, February.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Charles R. Hulten & Anders Isaksson, 2007. "Why Development Levels Differ: The Sources of Differential Economic Growth in a Panel of High and Low Income Countries," NBER Working Papers 13469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Boone, Jan, 2001. "Intensity of competition and the incentive to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 705-726, April.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1982. "Total Factor Productivity Growth, Technological Progress and Technical Efficiency Change: Dimensions of Productivity Change in Yugoslavia, 1965-78," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 920-936, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "On the Growth of Micro and Small Firms," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 396, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Productivity measurement in Swedish departments of gynecology and obstetrics," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 315-336, September.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Klinedinst, Mark & Linvill, Carl B., 1998. "Static and Dynamic Productivity among Yugoslav Enterprises: Components and Correlates," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 805-821, December.
- Trinh Le & John Gibson & Les Oxley, 2005. "Measures of human capital: A review of the literature," Treasury Working Paper Series 05/10, New Zealand Treasury.
- Jung, Yojin, 1991. "Multinationality and profitability," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 179-187, September.
- Kevin Fox & Robert Hill & W. Diewert, 2004. "Identifying Outliers in Multi-Output Models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Kneller, Richard & Andrew Stevens, Philip, 2003. "The specification of the aggregate production function in the presence of inefficiency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 223-226, November.
- Denny, Michael & Fuss, Melvyn, 1983. "A general approach to intertemporal and interspatial productivity comparisons," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 315-330, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:200912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.