Breathtaking or Stagnating? - Productivity, Technical Change and Structural Dynamics in Danish Organic Farming
This paper attempts to quantitatively measure the change in the productivity of Danish organic farming in recent years by using panel data on 56 organic farms mainly engaged in milk production for the period 2002 to 2004. Based on a translog production frontier framework the technical and scale efficiency on farm level is analyzed by considering also curvature consistency. The total change in productivity for the reference period is measured by using the Malmquist total factor productivity index approach based on a time trends as well as a general index model specification. Input specific bias in technical change as well as a general index model specification. Input specific bias in technical change as well elasticities of input substitution are analyzed. Factors for the development of technical change and the change in efficiency over time are investigated by applying a bootstrapped ITSUR techniques. Finally we try to conclude on the significance of subsidies for promoting long term growth in organic production by estimating a bootstrapped bivariate probit model with respect to factors influencing the probability of organic market exit. The results revealed significant difference in the organic farms' technical efficiency, no significant total factor productivity growth and even a slightly negative rate of technical change in the period investigated. We found evidence for a positive relationship between subsidy payments and an increase in farm efficiency, technology improvements and a decreasing probability of organic market exit which was also confirmed for off farm income. Finally the general index mode specification was found to deliver a more accurate mapping of total factor productivity growth.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lohr, Luanne & Salomonsson, Lennart, 2000.
"Conversion subsidies for organic production: results from Sweden and lessons for the United States,"
Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 133-146, March.
- Lohr, Luanne & Salomonsson, Lennart, 2000. "Conversion subsidies for organic production: results from Sweden and lessons for the United States," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(2), March.
- Lohr, Luanne & Salomonsson, Lennart, 1998. "Conversion Subsidies For Organic Production: Results From Sweden And Lessons For The United States," Faculty Series 16640, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. " Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- David Audretsch, 1994. "Business Survival and the Decision to Exit," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 125-137.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, October.
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2009.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
193, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Donghyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans L��f, 2012. "Technical change and total factor productivity growth for Swedish manufacturing and service industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(18), pages 2373-2391, June.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Loof, 2009. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200912, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Donghyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Lööf, 2011. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries," Post-Print hal-00693831, HAL.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:33:y:2001:i:1:p:35-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Efthymios Tsionas & Theodore Papadogonas, 2006. "Firm exit and technical inefficiency," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 535-548, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2005.
"Skill-biased technical change in US manufacturing: a general index approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 549-570, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2003. "Skill-Biased Technical Change in U.S. Manufacturing: A General Index Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 841, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2001. "The Bootstrap," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 52, pages 3159-3228 Elsevier.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2006.
"Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), pages 65-83, 03.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006. "Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), March.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Technical efficiency of alternative farming systems: the case of Greek organic and conventional olive-growing farms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 549-569, December.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- David Audretsch & Patrick Houweling & A. Thurik, 2000. "Firm Survival in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1993.
"Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency,"
1993-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1995. "Explaining Bank Failures: Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 689-700, November.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Economic Efficiency In Organic Farming: Evidence From Cotton Farms In Viotia, Greece," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2002. "Empirical Evidence of Technical Efficiency Levels in Greek Organic and Conventional Farms," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(2), August.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1982. "Total Factor Productivity Growth, Technological Progress and Technical Efficiency Change: Dimensions of Productivity Change in Yugoslavia, 1965-78," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 920-36, December.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Shinichiro Nakamura & Almas Heshmati, 2000. "Estimation of firm-specific technological bias, technical change and total factor productivity growth: a dual approach," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 162-173.
- Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2005. "Stochastic Utility-Efficient Programming of Organic Dairy Farms," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24743, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Greene, W.H., 1996. "Marginal Effects in the Bivariate Probit Model," Working Papers 96-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-60, February.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2005. "Technical Efficiency in Organic Farming: An Application on Italian Cereal Farms Using a Parametric Approach," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24545, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Productivity and technical change: Measurement and testing," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 185-191, January.
- Johannes Sauer, 2006. "Economic Theory and Econometric Practice: Parametric Efficiency Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1061-1087, November.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Ky–sti Pietola, 2002. "Effciency and productivity of conventional and organic farms in Finland 1994--1997," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Evangelia Desli & Subhash Ray & Subal Kumbhakar, 2003.
"A dynamic stochastic frontier production model with time-varying efficiency,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(10), pages 623-626.
- Evangelia Desli & Subhash C. Ray & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "A Dynamic Stochastic Frontier Production Model with Time-Varying Efficiency," Working papers 2003-15, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J., 1989. "Variation In Producer Turnover Across U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 12-89-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.