Trade Distortion Indexes and Applied General Equilibrium Models: The Case of the Common Agricoltural Policy
In this paper, we build on the insights of the Trade Restrictiveness Index (TRI) approach by computing uniform tariff equivalents for the European Union primary sector using the Global Trade Analysis Project model and its associated data base. The main contribution of the paper is to extend and adapt the definition of the TRI, in order to make it consistent with the structure of a multi-regional Applied General Equilibrium model. In this perspective, we define a â€œmodified TRIâ€ based on the direct welfare evaluation (rather than on the Balance of trade function) and extend its definition in order to take into account the terms of trade impact. Finally, an empirical application of the index is provided with reference to two policy scenarios: the liberalization of the Common Agricultural Policy and the implementation of the â€œAgenda 2000â€ reform.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Del Castro Laurenziano 9, 00161 Roma|
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996.
"Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Salvatici, Luca & Carter, Colin A. & Sumner, Daniel A., 1997. "The Trade Restrictiveness Index: The Potential Contribution To Agricultural Policy Analysis," 1997 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Toronto, Canada 21028, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1991.
"A new approach to evaluating trade policy,"
199105, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 1992. "A new approach to evaluating trade policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1022, The World Bank.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017, October.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 1994.
"Measuring protection : a cautionary tale,"
199423, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.