Food Security and Agricultural Protection in South Korea
South Korea has been pursuing food self-sufficiency using high tariffs and high administrative prices in key agricultural and food markets. Using a dual approach to trade and trade restrictiveness indices, we analyze the impact of these market distortions on welfare and trade volume. Then, we compute second-best distortions, which minimize the welfare cost of meeting observed levels of self-sufficiency and production. We rationalize these second-best distortions to what could be claimed as legitimate protection under a "food security" (FS) box in World Trade Organization (WTO) negotiations. FS-box protection is sensitive to changes in the definition and the extent of the FS objectives. We show that FS via production targets and reliance on imports would be more palatable to consumers and trade partners, while preserving income transfer to the farm sector.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, August 2003, vol. 85 no. 3, pp. 618-632|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1996.
"A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 107-125.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1991. "A new approach to evaluating trade policy," Working Papers 199105, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 1992. "A new approach to evaluating trade policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1022, The World Bank.
- Alan Matthews, 2001. "The position of the developing countries in the WTO negotiations on agricultural trade liberalisation," CEG Working Papers 20011, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Alan Matthews, 2001. "The position of the developing countries in the WTO negotiations on agricultural trade liberalisation," Trinity Economics Papers 20013, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Thornsbury, Suzanne & Roberts, Donna & DeRemer, Kate & Orden, David, 1997. "A First Step in Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade," 1997 Conference, August 10-16, 1997, Sacramento, California 197066, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Makki, Shiva S. & Tweeten, Luther G. & Miranda, Mario J., 2001. "Storage-trade interactions under uncertainty: Implications for food security," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 127-140, February.
- Salvatici, Luca & Carter, Colin A. & Sumner, Daniel A., 1997. "The Trade Restrictiveness Index: The Potential Contribution To Agricultural Policy Analysis," 1997 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Toronto, Canada 21028, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Josling, Timothy E. & Honma, Masayoshi & Lee, Jaeok & MacLaren, Donald & Miner, William M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Tangermann, Stefan & Valdes, Alberto, 1994. "The Uruguay Round Agreement On Agriculture: An Evaluation," Commissioned Papers 14621, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- James E. Anderson & Will Martin, 1996. "The Welfare Analysis of Fiscal Policy: A Simple Unified Account," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 316., Boston College Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)