Recent developments in the measurement of the effects of trade policy: index number method and trade restrictiveness index
In the policy arena, there is a demand for â€œtrade distortion indicatorsâ€, but many of the traditional indices are difficult to compute and interpret. Recent developments in the literature have led to new indicators: the Trade Restrictiveness Index (TRI) - measuring the tariff equivalent in terms of welfare -, and the Index Number Method (INM) - measuring the tariff equivalent of the deadweight loss from quality upgrading. This paper shows that the INM can be extended in order to compute a measure of trade distortion equivalent to the TRI.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salvatici, Luca & Carter, Colin A. & Sumner, Daniel A., 1997. "The Trade Restrictiveness Index: The Potential Contribution To Agricultural Policy Analysis," 1997 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Toronto, Canada 21028, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Neary, J Peter, 1995.
"Trade Liberalisation and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 531-54, August.
- Neary, J Peter, 1989. "Trade Liberalization and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas," CEPR Discussion Papers 345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521336017 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salvatici, Luca & Carter, Colin A. & Sumner, Daniel A., 1997. "The Trade Restrictiveness Index and its Potential Contribution to Agricultural Policy Analysis," 1997 Conference, August 10-16, 1997, Sacramento, California 197065, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993.
"A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.