Measures of trade openness using CGE analysis
While a number of measures of openness have been used in empirical studies, none has a theoretical derivation. Using cge models of an economy, this paper derives a number of measures of opennesss which lie on the unit interval and have a welfare interpretation. One group of measure are transformations of the Uniform Tariff Equivalent which are zero for a closed economy and unity for a completely open economy, and have the property that national welfare increases monotonically with the measures of openess. An alternative measure is calculated as the ratio of the volume of trade in a restricted trade situation to that under the free trade situation. These measures are calculated for 8 regions of the world economy, using the GTAP model. We find close correspondence between all the cge measures but the ranking of countries according to these measures differs substantially from that of the actual trade ratios which are most commonly used in empirical studies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 1992.
"A new approach to evaluating trade policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1022, The World Bank.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1991. "A new approach to evaluating trade policy," Working Papers 199105, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy,"
Department of Economics
95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004. "Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy," Working Papers 9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson, 1993.
"Tariff Index Theory,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
215, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1988.
"Measures of Openness,"
in: Trade Policy Issues and Empirical Analysis, pages 145-204
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685.
- Lloyd, P. J. & Schweinberger, A. G., 1988. "Trade expenditure functions and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 275-297, May.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1994.
"Measuring the Restrictiveness of Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0186, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- James Anderson, 1995.
"Trade Restrictiveness Benchmarks,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
290., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Clinton R. Shiells & Kenneth A. Reinert, 1993. "Armington Models and Terms-of-Trade Effects: Some Econometric Evidence for North America," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, May.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Brown, Drusilla K., 1987. "Tariffs, the terms of trade, and national product differentiation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 503-526.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1993. "Openness, Trade Liberalization, and Growth in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1358-93, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:24:y:2002:i:1:p:67-81. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.