The Degree of Openness to Intra-Regional Trade - Towards Value-Added Based Openness Measures
This study develops innovative measures of openness towards bilateral trade. The most widely applied openness indices are not able to accurately calculate the degree of trade openness. For example, the intra-regional export ratio which relates the value of exports of an integration area to the gross domestic product, can exceed 100 percent because trade is stated in gross terms, while the gross domestic product is expressed in value-added terms. This implies a negative value of domestic non-tradeables. The actual openness concept corrects the traditional concept by expressing trade in value-added terms instead of gross terms.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-70593 Stuttgart|
Web page: http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/institution/institut-fuer-economics-11
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer, 1996. "Trade and Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Juan Luis Londoño & Miguel Székely, 1997.
"Income Distribution, Factor Endowments, and Trade Openness,"
Research Department Publications
4088, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Spilimbergo, Antonio & Londono, Juan Luis & Szekely, Miguel, 1999. "Income distribution, factor endowments, and trade openness," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 77-101, June.
- Chen, Been-Lon, 1999. "Trade Openness and Economic Growth: Evidence in East Asia and Latin America," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 265-295.
- Rod Falvey & Norman Gemmell,, .
"Factor Endowments, Nontradables Prices and Measures of Openness" ","
97/14, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Falvey, Rod & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Factor endowments, nontradables prices and measures of 'openness'," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 101-122, February.
- Michael M. Knetter & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2001. "Measuring Product-Market Integration," NBER Chapters, in: Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey, pages 15-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2001. "Trade and human capital as determinants of growth," CSAE Working Paper Series 2001-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Greenaway, David & Foster, Neil, 2002.
"North-South Trade, Knowledge Spillovers and Growth,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 650-670.
- David Greenaway & Neil Foster & Rod Falvey, 2002. "North-South Trade, Knowledge Spillovers and Growth," European Economy Group Working Papers 15, European Economy Group.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blom01-1, March.
- Wacziarg, Romain, 1998.
"Measuring the dynamic gains from trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2001, The World Bank.
- Harrison, Ann, 1991.
"Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
809, The World Bank.
- Harrison, Ann, 1996. "Openness and growth: A time-series, cross-country analysis for developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 419-447, March.
- Ann Harrison, 1995. "Openness and Growth: A Time-Series, Cross-Country Analysis for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 5221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Lloyd, P. J. & MacLaren, D., 2002.
"Measures of trade openness using CGE analysis,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 67-81, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hoh:hohdip:257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulrike Berberich)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ulrike Berberich to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.