On the dynamic measurement of economic openness
The empirical relationship between economic openness and economic performance is much debated in the economic literature. No definitive conclusions seem to be reached yet, part of the problem being the very measurement of economic openness of a national economy. In their article in the Journal of Policy Modeling, Ruíz Estrada & Yap (2006) propose a new method to measure economic openness and to empirically assess the openness-growth nexus as a new tool for policy-makers: the Openness Growth Monitoring Model (OGM-Model). The authors claim: (i) that their method is different from and more flexible than existing empirical methods, (ii) that higher levels of openness do not lead to income growth, and (iii) that customs unions perform better than free trade areas. This short article challenges the three claims of the authors.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lloyd, P. J. & MacLaren, D., 2002.
"Measures of trade openness using CGE analysis,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 67-81, March.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1987.
"Measures of Openness,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
447, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Estrada, Mario Arturo Ruiz & Yap, Su Fei, 2006. "The Openness Growth Monitoring Model (OGM-Model)," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 235-246, April.
- Ben Lockwood, 2004. "How Robust is the Kearney/Foreign Policy Globalisation Index?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 507-523, 04.
- Easterly, William & Kremer, Michael & Pritchett, Lant & Summers, Lawrence H., 1993.
"Good policy or good luck?: Country growth performance and temporary shocks,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 459-483, December.
- William Easterly & Michael Kremer & Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1993. "Good Policy or Good Luck? Country Growth Performance and Temporary Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1991. "Measuring outward orientation in developing countries : can it be done?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 566, The World Bank.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Srinivasan, T.N. & Bhagwati, J., 1999. "Outward-Orientation and Development: Are Revisionist Right?," Papers 806, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1994.
"Measuring the Restrictiveness of Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0186, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Salvatore, Dominick, 2004. "Growth and poverty in a globalizing world," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 543-551, June.
- Andreas Billmeier & Tommaso Nannicini, 2009.
"Trade Openness and Growth: Pursuing Empirical Glasnost,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(3), pages 447-475, August.
- Andreas Billmeier & Tommaso Nannicini, 2007. "Trade Openness and Growth: Pursuing Empirical Glasnost," IMF Working Papers 07/156, International Monetary Fund.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1993. "Openness, Trade Liberalization, and Growth in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1358-93, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2004. "Globalization and growth in emerging markets," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 465-484, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:31:y:2009:i:5:p:731-736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.