Persistence in Convergence
In this paper, we examine the convergence hypothesis using a long memory framework that allows for structural breaks and the non reliance on a benchmark country. We find that even though the long memory framework of analysis is much richer than the simple I(1)=I(0) alternative, a simple absolute divergence and rapid convergence dichotomy produced by the latter is sufficient to capture the behavior of the gaps in per capita GDP levels and growth rates results respectively. This is in contrast to the findings of Dufrénot, Mignon and Naccache (2009) who found strong evidence of long memory for output gaps. The speed of convergence captured by the estimated long memory parameter d, is explained by differences in physical and human capital as well as fiscal discipline characteristics of economic policies pursued by different countries.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Paul & Durlauf, Steven N & Temple, Johnathan R. W., 2004.
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
61, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Ralf Becker & Walter Enders & Junsoo Lee, 2006. "A Stationarity Test in the Presence of an Unknown Number of Smooth Breaks," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 381-409, 05.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Steven N. Durlauf, 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004.
"A Pair-Wise Approach to Testing for Output and Growth Convergence,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1308, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hashem Pesaran, M., 2007. "A pair-wise approach to testing for output and growth convergence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 312-355, May.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "A Pair-Wise Approach to Testing for Output and Growth Convergence," IZA Discussion Papers 1313, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "A Pair-wise Approach to Testing for Output and Growth Convergence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0453, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Claudio Michelacci & Paolo Zaffaroni, 2000.
"(Fractional) Beta Convergence,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
383, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Antonio Garcia Pascual, 2004.
"Testing for output convergence: a re-examination,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Antonio Garcia-Pascual, 2004. "Testing for Output Convergence: A Re-examination," Working Papers 052004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Antonio I. Garcia Pascual, 2000. "Testing for Output Convergence: A Re-Examination," CESifo Working Paper Series 319, CESifo Group Munich.
- Karim Abadir & Gabriel Talmain, 2002.
"Aggregation, Persistence and Volatility in a Macro Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(4), pages 749-779.
- Abadir, Karim & Talmain, Gabriel, 2002. "Aggregation, Persistence and Volatility in a Macro Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(4), pages 749-79, October.
- Karim Abadir & Gabriel Talmain, 2001. "Aggregation, Persistence and Volatility in a Macromodel," Working Papers w200106, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Karim Abadir & Gabriel Talmain, . "Aggregation, Persistence and Volatility in a Macromodel," Discussion Papers 01/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2007. "Nonstationarity-extended local Whittle estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1353-1384, December.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002.
"Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration,"
Economics Discussion Papers
535, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002. "Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1367, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2004.
- Ludlow, Jorge & Enders, Walter, 2000. "Estimating non-linear ARMA models using Fourier coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 333-347.
- Ralf Becker & Walter Enders & A. Stan Hurn, 2001. "Testing for Time Dependence in Parameters," Research Paper Series 58, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006. "Local Whittle estimation of fractional integration and some of its variants," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 209-233, February.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Durlauf, Steven N, 1995.
"Convergence in International Output,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 97-108, April-Jun.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications,"
CID Working Papers
42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Andrew W. Lo, 2001. "The sources and nature of long-term memory in aggregate output," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 15-30.
- Datta, Anusua, 2003. "Time-series tests of convergence and transitional dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 233-240, November.
- Li, Qing & Papell, David, 1999. "Convergence of international output Time series evidence for 16 OECD countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 267-280, September.
- Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Gaussian Semi-parametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 345-378, 05.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Valérie Mignon & Théo Naccache, . "The slow convergence of per capita income between the developing countries: “growth resistance” and sometimes “growth tragedy”," Discussion Papers 09/03, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Nehru, Vikram & Swanson, Eric & Dubey, Ashutosh, 1995. "A new database on human capital stock in developing and industrial countries: Sources, methodology, and results," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 379-401, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:34_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.