Endogeneity in Semiparametric Threshold Regression
In this paper, we investigate semiparametric threshold regression models with endogenous threshold variables based on a nonparametric control function approach. Using a series approximation we propose a two-step estimation method for the threshold parameter. For the regression coefficients we consider least-squares estimation in the case of exogenous regressors and two-stage least-squares estimation in the case of endogenous regressors. We show that our estimators are consistent and derive their asymptotic distribution for weakly dependent data. Furthermore, we propose a test for the endogeneity of the threshold variable, which is valid regardless of whether the threshold effect is zero or not. Finally, we assess the performance of our methods using a Monte Carlo simulation.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Patara, 3, 47921 Rimini (RN)|
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seo, Myung Hwan & Shin, Yongcheol, 2016.
"Dynamic panels with threshold effect and endogeneity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 169-186.
- Myung Hwan Seo & Yongcheol Shin, 2014. "Dynamic Panels with Threshold Effect and Endogeneity," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 577, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Caner, Mehmet & Hansen, Bruce E., 2004. "Instrumental Variable Estimation Of A Threshold Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 813-843, October.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 1993. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," MPRA Paper 51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013. "Income Distribution and Macroeconomics," Working Papers 2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-345, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Deniz Ozabaci & Daniel J. Henderson & Liangjun Su, 2014. "Additive Nonparametric Regression in the Presence of Endogenous Regressors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 555-575, October.
- Ozabaci, Deniz & Henderson, Daniel J. & Su, Liangjun, 2014. "Additive Nonparametric Regression in the Presence of Endogenous Regressors," IZA Discussion Papers 8144, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Durlauf, Steven N, 1996. "A Theory of Persistent Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992. "A Theory of Persistent Income Inequality," NBER Working Papers 4056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durlauf, S.N., 1992. "A Theory of Persistent Income Inequality," Papers 47, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000. "Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996. "Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Athreya, Krishna B. & Pantula, Sastry G., 1986. "A note on strong mixing of ARMA processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 187-190, June.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:17-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.