A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models
We propose a smoothed least squares estimator of the parameters of a threshold regression model. Our model generalizes that considered in Hansen (2000) to allow the thresholding to depend on a linear index of observed regressors, thus allowing discrete variables to enter. We also do not assume that the threshold e¤ect is vanishingly small. Our estimator is shown to be consistent and asymptotically normal thus facilitating standard inference techniques based on estimated standard errors or standard bootstrap for the threshold parameters themselves. We compare our con dence intervals with those of Hansen (2000) in a simulation study and show that our methods outperform his for large values of the threshold. We also include an application to cross-country growth regressions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Robert M., 1997. "Central Limit Theorems for Dependent Heterogeneous Random Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 353-367, June.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Todd, Petra & Van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2001. "Identification and Estimation of Treatment Effects with a Regression-Discontinuity Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 201-09, January.
- Jansson, Michael, 2002. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation For Linear Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 1449-1459, December.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, June.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2002. "Bootstrap critical values for tests based on the smoothed maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 141-167, December.
- de Jong, R.M., 1995. "Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 347-358, February.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996.
"Bootstrap Methods for Median Regression Models,"
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1987. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers [On Unification of the Asymptotic Theory of Nonlinear Econometric Models]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1465-71, November.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Jason Abrevaya & Jian Huang, 2005. "On the Bootstrap of the Maximum Score Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1175-1204, 07.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Hidalgo, Javier, 2000. "Nonparametric inference on structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 113-144, May.
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-25, April-Jun.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Caner, Mehmet, 2002. "A Note On Least Absolute Deviation Estimation Of A Threshold Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 800-814, June.
- de Jong, Robert M. & Woutersen, Tiemen, 2011.
"Dynamic Time Series Binary Choice,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 673-702, August.
- Robert M. de Jong & Tiemen Woutersen, 2007. "Dynamic time series binary choice," Economics Working Paper Archive 538, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Tiemen Woutersen & Robert M. de Jong, 2004. "Dynamic time series binary choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 365, Econometric Society.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models,"
Economics Working Papers
573, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Wolf, Michael, 2005. "Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 201-224, August.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:141:y:2007:i:2:p:704-735. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.