Improving Likelihood-Ratio-Based Confidence Intervals for Threshold Parameters in Finite Samples
We propose an improved method for constructing likelihood-ratio-based confidence intervals for threshold parameters in threshold regressions. Related methods have been extensively developed in the literature and are asymptotically valid. However, their performance in finite samples is not satisfactory. We suggest two modifications to the standard inverted likelihood ratio approach. First, we consider a middle point adjustment for the boundaries of confidence intervals. Second, we propose an interpolation approach for evaluating the likelihood ratio profile at non-observable threshold values. Our extensive Monte Carlo simulations suggest that our proposed confidence intervals outperform existing methods, including bootstrap approaches, by attaining very accurate coverage rates with relatively short lengths in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 +2 9351 5055
Fax: 61 +2 9351 4341
Web page: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1997.
"A floor and ceiling model of US output,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 661-695, May.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Simon M. Potter, 1993.
"A Nonlinear Approach to U.S. GNP,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
693, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Eo, Yunjong & Morley, James, 2011.
"Likelihood-Ratio-Based Confidence Sets for the Timing of Structural Breaks,"
2011-07, University of Sydney, School of Economics, revised Feb 2014.
- Yunjong Eo & James Morley, 2015. "Likelihood‐ratio‐based confidence sets for the timing of structural breaks," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 6(2), pages 463-497, 07.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 1-27, May.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2012.
"Estimation and inference in threshold type regime switching models,"
Economics Working Papers
we1204, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- JesÃºs Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2013. "Estimation and inference in threshold type regime switching models," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Empirical Macroeconomics, chapter 8, pages 189-205 Edward Elgar.
- Yu, Ping, 2012. "Likelihood estimation and inference in threshold regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 274-294.
- Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M, 1999.
"Dynamic Asymmetries in U.S. Unemployment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 298-312, July.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models,"
Economics Working Papers
573, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Wolf, Michael, 2005. "Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 201-224, August.
- Oliver Linton & Myunghwan Seo, 2005.
"A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4434, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Seo, Myung Hwan & Linton, Oliver, 2007. "A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 704-735, December.
- Nathan S. Balke, 2000. "Credit and Economic Activity: Credit Regimes and Nonlinear Propagation of Shocks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 344-349, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:syd:wpaper:2014-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vanessa Holcombe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.