Improving Likelihood-Ratio-Based Confidence Intervals for Threshold Parameters in Finite Samples
We propose an improved method for constructing likelihood-ratio-based confidence intervals for threshold parameters in threshold regressions. Related methods have been extensively developed in the literature and are asymptotically valid. However, their performance in finite samples is not satisfactory. We suggest two modifications to the standard inverted likelihood ratio approach. First, we consider a middle point adjustment for the boundaries of confidence intervals. Second, we propose an interpolation approach for evaluating the likelihood ratio profile at non-observable threshold values. Our extensive Monte Carlo simulations suggest that our proposed confidence intervals outperform existing methods, including bootstrap approaches, by attaining very accurate coverage rates with relatively short lengths in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 +2 9351 5055
Fax: 61 +2 9351 4341
Web page: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nathan S. Balke, 2000. "Credit and Economic Activity: Credit Regimes and Nonlinear Propagation of Shocks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 344-349, May.
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-25, April-Jun.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models,"
Economics Working Papers
573, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Wolf, Michael, 2005. "Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 201-224, August.
- JesÃºs Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2013.
"Estimation and inference in threshold type regime switching models,"
in: Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Empirical Macroeconomics, chapter 8, pages 189-205
- Jesús Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2012. "Estimation and inference in threshold type regime switching models," Economics Working Papers we1204, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Oliver Linton & Myunghwan Seo, 2005.
"A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4434, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Seo, Myung Hwan & Linton, Oliver, 2007. "A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 704-735, December.
- Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M, 1999.
"Dynamic Asymmetries in U.S. Unemployment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 298-312, July.
- Yu, Ping, 2012. "Likelihood estimation and inference in threshold regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 274-294.
- Pesaran, H.M. & Potter, S.M., 1995.
"A Floor and Ceiling Model of U.S. Output,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9407, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Eo, Yunjong & Morley, James, 2011. "Likelihood-Ratio-Based Confidence Sets for the Timing of Structural Breaks," Working Papers 2011-07, University of Sydney, School of Economics, revised Feb 2014.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 1-27, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:syd:wpaper:2014-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vanessa Holcombe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.