Price volatility, market regulation and risk management: challenges for the future of the CAP
This article provides an analysis of the European Commission’s proposals (18 Novembre 2010) regarding the next CAP reform. It proposes a reflection centered on the volatility of agricultural prices, the market regulation mechanisms and the risk management tools (the important question of direct payment to farmers is not included here). The first section deals with the factors underlying the volatility of agricultural prices, the effects of these factors on an international scale and ways of better managing volatility through enhanced international coordination of policies associated with agriculture. The second concerns the European tools that could be mobilised to accompany and support the envisaged strategies on a more global scale. Arguments are then developed around the following topics: customs duties, export refunds, safety nets, futures markets, fiscal policies and income stabilisation tools.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Baffes, 2011. "The Economics of Food: How Feeding and Fueling the Planet Affects Food Prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 157-160, March.
- Edgard Pisani & Vincent Chatellier, 2010.
"La faim dans le monde, le commerce et les politiques agricoles,"
Revue française d'économie,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 3-77.
- Edgard Pisani & Vincent Chatellier, 2010. "La faim dans le monde, le commerce et les politiques agricoles," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 25(1), pages 3-77.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Merrin, Robert P., 2008.
"The Adequacy of Speculation in Agricultural Futures Markets:Too Much of a Good Thing?,"
2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri
37615, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dwight R. Sanders & Scott H. Irwin & Robert P. Merrin, 2010. "The Adequacy of Speculation in Agricultural Futures Markets: Too Much of a Good Thing?," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 77-94.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Merrin, Robert P., 2008. "The Adequacy of Speculation in Agricultural Futures Markets: Too Much of a Good Thing?," Marketing and Outlook Research Reports 37512, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Beghin, John C. & Fuller, Frank H. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Kaus, Phillip J. & Fang, Cheng & Hart, Chad E. & Matthey, Holger & de Cara, Stephane & Kovarik, Kare, 2001. "FAPRI 2001 U.S. and World Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 32052, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Martin Banse & Hans van Meijl & Andrzej Tabeau & Geert Woltjer, 2008. "Will EU biofuel policies affect global agricultural markets?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 117-141, June.
- Alan Swinbank, 2008. "Potential WTO Challenges to the CAP-super-†," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(4), pages 445-456, December.
- Tim Josling & Kym Anderson & Andrew Schmitz & Stefan Tangermann, 2010. "Understanding International Trade in Agricultural Products: One Hundred Years of Contributions by Agricultural Economists," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 424-446.
- Boussard, Jean-Marc, 2007. "Pourquoi et comment l’instabilité est-elle une caractéristique structurelle des marchés agricoles?," Miscellaneous Papers 44424, Agecon Search.
- Scott H. Irwin & Dwight R. Sanders, 2011. "Index Funds, Financialization, and Commodity Futures Markets," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-31.
- Shingo Kimura & Jesús Antón & Christine LeThi, 2010. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Cross Country Analysis," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 26, OECD Publishing.
- Christopher Gilbert & Wyn Morgan, 2010. "Has food price volatility risen?," Department of Economics Working Papers 1002, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:201104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christine Mesquida)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.