A Review of Distributed Generation for Rural and Remote Area Electrification
Distributed Generation (DG), which is electricity generation located close to the load/demand. While the definition of DG is far from “settled” , for the purpose of this project, DG will refer to electricity generation that is produced and consumed within the catchment area of the local Distribution Network Service Provider (DSNP). Many in the energy economics and policy literature also use the term “embedded generation”, which tends to reflect DG that has been incorporated into a larger electricity grid (but often still retains the ability to operate in isolation from the grid). Distributed power generation has been used for decades , and has been met with mixed success. There is a plethora of literature that examines the use of DG in developing countries [3-5], in relation to World Bank development projects , with respect to high penetration of DG in Australia [7-10], and for a more general discussion . Furthermore, the DG literature has been growing and is now being examined in context of rural communities across different scales from household systems  to community mini-grids  and grid connected systems .
|Date of creation:||Jul 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +61 7 3365 6570|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/eemg
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siddiqui, Afzal S. & Maribu, Karl, 2009. "Investment and upgrade in distributed generation under uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 25-37, January.
- Heinz Schandl & Franzi Poldy & Graham M. Turner & Thomas G. Measham & Daniel H. Walker & Nina Eisenmenger, 2008.
"Australia's Resource Use Trajectories,"
Journal of Industrial Ecology,
Yale University, vol. 12(5-6), pages 669-685, October.
- Heinz Schandl & Franzi Poldy & Graham M Turner & Thomas G Measham & Daniel Walker & Nina Eisenmenger, 2008. "Australia’s Resource Use Trajectories," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2008-08, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Brent, Alan Colin & Rogers, David E., 2010. "Renewable rural electrification: Sustainability assessment of mini-hybrid off-grid technological systems in the African context," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 257-265.
- McHenry, Mark P., 2012. "Small-scale (≤6 kWe) stand-alone and grid-connected photovoltaic, wind, hydroelectric, biodiesel, and wood gasification system’s simulated technical, economic, and mitigation analyses for rural region," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 195-205.
- Mitchell, K. & Nagrial, M. & Rizk, J., 2009. "Network benefits of embedded solar systems: A case study from western Sydney," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2592-2596.
- Yadoo, Annabel & Gormally, Alexandra & Cruickshank, Heather, 2011. "Low-carbon off-grid electrification for rural areas in the United Kingdom: Lessons from the developing world," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6400-6407, October.
- McConnell, Dylan & Hearps, Patrick & Eales, Dominic & Sandiford, Mike & Dunn, Rebecca & Wright, Matthew & Bateman, Lachlan, 2013. "Retrospective modeling of the merit-order effect on wholesale electricity prices from distributed photovoltaic generation in the Australian National Electricity Market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 17-27.
- Oikonomou, Emmanouil K. & Kilias, Vassilios & Goumas, Aggelos & Rigopoulos, Alexandrous & Karakatsani, Eirini & Damasiotis, Markos & Papastefanakis, Dimitrios & Marini, Natassa, 2009. "Renewable energy sources (RES) projects and their barriers on a regional scale: The case study of wind parks in the Dodecanese islands, Greece," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4874-4883, November.
- Vine, Edward & Hamrin, Jan & Eyre, Nick & Crossley, David & Maloney, Michelle & Watt, Greg, 2003. "Public policy analysis of energy efficiency and load management in changing electricity businesses," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 405-430, April.
- Harrison, D.G. & Ho, G.E. & Mathew, K., 1996. "Renewable energy in the outback of Australia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 776-780.
- Byrne, John & Zhou, Aiming & Shen, Bo & Hughes, Kristen, 2007. "Evaluating the potential of small-scale renewable energy options to meet rural livelihoods needs: A GIS- and lifecycle cost-based assessment of Western China's options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4391-4401, August.
- Karekezi, Stephen & Kithyoma, Waeni, 2002. "Renewable energy strategies for rural Africa: is a PV-led renewable energy strategy the right approach for providing modern energy to the rural poor of sub-Saharan Africa?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(11-12), pages 1071-1086, September.
- Yadoo, Annabel & Cruickshank, Heather, 2010. "The value of cooperatives in rural electrification," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2941-2947, June.
- McHenry, Mark P., 2009. "Why are remote Western Australians installing renewable energy technologies in stand-alone power supply systems?," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1252-1256.
- Vahl, Fabrício Peter & Rüther, Ricardo & Casarotto Filho, Nelson, 2013. "The influence of distributed generation penetration levels on energy markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 226-235.
- Strachan, Neil & Dowlatabadi, Hadi, 2002. "Distributed generation and distribution utilities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 649-661, June.
- Liu, Jian & Wang, Run & Sun, Yanwei & Lin, Yanjie & Xiao, Lishan, 2013. "A barrier analysis for the development of distributed energy in China: A case study in Fujian province," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 262-271.
- Effendi, Pranoto & Courvisanos, Jerry, 2012. "Political aspects of innovation: Examining renewable energy in Australia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 245-252.
- Winkler, Harald & Simões, André Felipe & Rovere, Emilio Lèbre la & Alam, Mozaharul & Rahman, Atiq & Mwakasonda, Stanford, 2011. "Access and Affordability of Electricity in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1037-1050, June.
- Marinova, Dora & Balaguer, Antonio, 2009. "Transformation in the photovoltaics industry in Australia, Germany and Japan: Comparison of actors, knowledge, institutions and markets," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 461-464.
- Ozturk, Ilhan, 2010. "A literature survey on energy-growth nexus," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 340-349, January.
- Narula, Kapil & Nagai, Yu & Pachauri, Shonali, 2012. "The role of Decentralized Distributed Generation in achieving universal rural electrification in South Asia by 2030," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 345-357.
- Barnett, Andrew, 1990. "The diffusion of energy technology in the rural areas of developing countries: A synthesis of recent experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 539-553, April.
- McHenry, Mark P., 2012. "A technical, economic, and greenhouse gas emission analysis of a homestead-scale grid-connected and stand-alone photovoltaic and diesel systems, against electricity network extension," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 126-135.
- McHenry, M.P., 2012. "Technical, mitigation, and financial comparisons of 6kWe grid-connected and stand-alone wood gasifiers, versus mineral diesel and biodiesel generation for rural distributed generation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 428-437.
- Abdullah, M.O. & Yung, V.C. & Anyi, M. & Othman, A.K. & Ab. Hamid, K.B. & Tarawe, J., 2010. "Review and comparison study of hybrid diesel/solar/hydro/fuel cell energy schemes for a rural ICT Telecenter," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 639-646.
- Simshauser, Paul, 2010. "Resource Adequacy, Capital Adequacy and Investment Uncertainty in the Australian Power Market," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Hoff, Thomas E & Wenger, Howard J & Farmer, Brian K, 1996. "Distributed generation : An alternative to electric utility investments in system capacity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 137-147, February.
- Clifton, Julian & Boruff, Bryan J., 2010. "Assessing the potential for concentrated solar power development in rural Australia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 5272-5280, September.
- Simshauser, Paul, 2001. "Excess Entry in the Deregulated Queensland Power Market," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 73-92, March.
- Martinot, Eric, 2001. "Renewable energy investment by the World Bank," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 689-699, July.
- William E., Lilley & Luke J., Reedman & Liam D., Wagner & Colin F., Alie & Anthony R., Szatow, 2012. "An economic evaluation of the potential for distributed energy in Australia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 277-289.
- William Lilley & Luke Reedman & Liam Wagner & Colin Alie & Anthony Szatow, 2012. "An economic evaluation of the potential for distributed energy in Australia," Energy Economics and Management Group Working Papers 16, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Gross, Catherine, 2007. "Community perspectives of wind energy in Australia: The application of a justice and community fairness framework to increase social acceptance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2727-2736, May.
- Paul Simshauser, 2006. "The Emergence of Structural Faults on the Supply Side in Deregulated 'Energy Only' Electricity Markets," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 39(2), pages 130-146, 06.
- van der Vleuten, F. & Stam, N. & van der Plas, R., 2007. "Putting solar home system programmes into perspective: What lessons are relevant?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1439-1451, March.
- D’Agostino, Anthony L. & Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Bambawale, Malavika Jain, 2011. "And then what happened? A retrospective appraisal of China’s Renewable Energy Development Project (REDP)," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 3154-3165.
- Kaundinya, Deepak Paramashivan & Balachandra, P. & Ravindranath, N.H., 2009. "Grid-connected versus stand-alone energy systems for decentralized power--A review of literature," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 2041-2050, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqeemg:3-2014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.