Transformation in the photovoltaics industry in Australia, Germany and Japan: Comparison of actors, knowledge, institutions and markets
The paper analyses the evolution of the photovoltaics industry in Australia, Germany and Japan from a comparative policy perspective. It uses a sectoral innovation system framework to discuss the way the three countries have approached the development of knowledge and new technologies, the actors in the sector and the interactions between them, the role of institutions and availability of funding as well as the development of markets for photovoltaics. It outlines the different paths that the countries have adopted for the process of transition from niche to mass production. The findings show that various national players have specialised in different activities, with the institutions' building block being a key determinant for success or otherwise. In the case of Australia, it is also the least developed area which ultimately exposes the country to losing its innovation benefits.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franco Malerba, 2005. "Sectoral systems of innovation: a framework for linking innovation to the knowledge base, structure and dynamics of sectors," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1-2), pages 63-82.
- Freeman, Chris & Louca, Francisco, 2002.
"As Time Goes By: From the Industrial Revolutions to the Information Revolution,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199251056.
- Freeman, Chris & Louca, Francisco, 2001. "As Time Goes By: From the Industrial Revolutions to the Information Revolution," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199241071.
- Jacobsson, Staffan & Johnson, Anna, 2000. "The diffusion of renewable energy technology: an analytical framework and key issues for research," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 625-640, July.
- Staffan Jacobsson & Anna Bergek, 2004. "Transforming the energy sector: the evolution of technological systems in renewable energy technology," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(5), pages 815-849, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:renene:v:34:y:2009:i:2:p:461-464. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.