An economic evaluation of the potential for distributed energy in Australia
Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) recently completed a major study investigating the value of distributed energy (DE; collectively demand management, energy efficiency and distributed generation) technologies for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from Australia’s energy sector (CSIRO, 2009). This comprehensive report covered potential economic, environmental, technical, social, policy and regulatory impacts that could result from the wide scale adoption of these technologies. In this paper we highlight the economic findings from the study. Partial Equilibrium modeling of the stationary and transport sectors found that Australia could achieve a present value welfare gain of around $130 billion when operating under a 450 ppm carbon reduction trajectory through to 2050. Modeling also suggests that reduced volatility in the spot market could decrease average prices by up to 12% in 2030 and 65% in 2050 by using local resources to better cater for an evolving supply-demand imbalance. Further modeling suggests that even a small amount of distributed generation located within a distribution network has the potential to significantly alter electricity prices by changing the merit order of dispatch in an electricity spot market. Changes to the dispatch relative to a base case can have both positive and negative effects on network losses.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +61 7 3365 6570|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/eemg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dalton, G.J. & Lockington, D.A. & Baldock, T.E., 2009. "Case study feasibility analysis of renewable energy supply options for small to medium-sized tourist accommodations," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1134-1144.
- Corria, Maria Eugenia & Cobas, Vladimir Melian & Silva Lora, Electo, 2006. "Perspectives of Stirling engines use for distributed generation in Brazil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3402-3408, December.
- Fleten, S.-E. & Maribu, K.M. & Wangensteen, I., 2007.
"Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 803-815.
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Maribu, Karl Magnus & Wangensteen, Ivar, 2005. "Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 218, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2006.
- Demiroren, A. & Yilmaz, U., 2010. "Analysis of change in electric energy cost with using renewable energy sources in Gökceada, Turkey: An island example," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 323-333, January.
- Weis, Timothy M. & Ilinca, Adrian, 2008. "The utility of energy storage to improve the economics of wind–diesel power plants in Canada," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1544-1557.
- Kannan, Ramachandran & Strachan, Neil, 2009. "Modelling the UK residential energy sector under long-term decarbonisation scenarios: Comparison between energy systems and sectoral modelling approaches," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 416-428, April.
- Dalton, G.J. & Lockington, D.A. & Baldock, T.E., 2008. "Feasibility analysis of stand-alone renewable energy supply options for a large hotel," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1475-1490.
- Ben Maalla, El Mehdi & Kunsch, Pierre L., 2008. "Simulation of micro-CHP diffusion by means of System Dynamics," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2308-2319, July.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Nandi, Sanjoy Kumar & Ghosh, Himangshu Ranjan, 2010. "Prospect of wind–PV-battery hybrid power system as an alternative to grid extension in Bangladesh," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3040-3047.
- Himri, Y. & Boudghene Stambouli, A. & Draoui, B. & Himri, S., 2008. "Techno-economical study of hybrid power system for a remote village in Algeria," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1128-1136.
- Zoulias, E.I. & Lymberopoulos, N., 2007. "Techno-economic analysis of the integration of hydrogen energy technologies in renewable energy-based stand-alone power systems," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 680-696.
- Denholm, Paul & Margolis, Robert M., 2007. "Evaluating the limits of solar photovoltaics (PV) in electric power systems utilizing energy storage and other enabling technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4424-4433, September.
- Graham, Paul W. & Williams, David J., 2003. "Optimal technological choices in meeting Australian energy policy goals," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 691-712, November.
- Myers, Kevin S. & Klein, Sanford A. & Reindl, Douglas T., 2010. "Assessment of high penetration of solar photovoltaics in Wisconsin," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7338-7345, November.
- Siddiqui, Afzal S. & Maribu, Karl, 2009. "Investment and upgrade in distributed generation under uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 25-37, January.
- Kannan, R., 2009. "Uncertainties in key low carbon power generation technologies - Implication for UK decarbonisation targets," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1873-1886, October.
- Reinhard Madlener & Marcel Wickart, 2004.
"Optimal Technology Choice and Investment Timing: A Stochastic Model of Industrial Cogeneration vs. Heat-Only Production,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-37, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Wickart, Marcel & Madlener, Reinhard, 2007. "Optimal technology choice and investment timing: A stochastic model of industrial cogeneration vs. heat-only production," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 934-952, July.
- Dalton, G.J. & Lockington, D.A. & Baldock, T.E., 2009. "Feasibility analysis of renewable energy supply options for a grid-connected large hotel," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 955-964.
- Khan, M.J. & Iqbal, M.T., 2005. "Pre-feasibility study of stand-alone hybrid energy systems for applications in Newfoundland," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 835-854.
- Lau, K.Y. & Yousof, M.F.M. & Arshad, S.N.M. & Anwari, M. & Yatim, A.H.M., 2010. "Performance analysis of hybrid photovoltaic/diesel energy system under Malaysian conditions," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 3245-3255.
- Jablonski, Sophie & Strachan, Neil & Brand, Christian & Bauen, Ausilio, 2010. "The role of bioenergy in the UK's energy future formulation and modelling of long-term UK bioenergy scenarios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5799-5816, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqeemg:16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.