The long-term decline of internal migration in Canada – Ontario as a case study
Migration between the Canadian provinces generally followed a declining trend over the period 1971-2004. In this paper, taking Ontario a case study, we seek to explain these patterns using recent panel cointegration methods that are robust to cross-section dependence. Estimation of heterogenous models suggests that the determinants of migration vary across provinces. Overall, unemployment differential and income in the sending province appear to be the most important ones, with income and federal transfer differentials playing only a minor role.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson C. Mark & Masao Ogaki & Donggyu Sul, 2003.
"Dynamic Seemingly Unrelated Cointegrating Regression,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson C. Mark & Masao Ogaki & Donggyu Sul, 2005. "Dynamic Seemingly Unrelated Cointegrating Regressions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 797-820.
- Masao Ogaki & Nelson Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Dynamic Seemingly Unrelated Cointegrating Regression," Working Papers 04-02, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004.
"‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefano Fachin, 2007.
"Long-run trends in internal migrations in italy: a study in panel cointegration with dependent units,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 401-428.
- Stefano Fachin, 2005. "Long-Run Trends in Internal Migrations in Italy: a Study in Panel Cointegration with Dependent Units," Econometrics 0507002, EconWPA.
- Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio, 1997. "An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 571-579, April.
- Thomas J. Courchene, 1970. "Interprovincial Migration and Economic Adjustment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 3(4), pages 550-76, November.
- Serge Coulombe, 2006. "Internal Migration, Asymmetric Shocks, and Interprovincial Economic Adjustments in Canada," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 29(2), pages 199-223, April.
- repec:cai:popine:popu_p1971_26n4_0779 is not listed on IDEAS
- Serge Coulombe & Kathleen M. Day, 1999. "Economic Growth and Regional Income Disparities in Canada and the Northern United States," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 25(2), pages 155-178, June.
- Shaw, R Paul, 1986. "Fiscal versus Traditional Market Variables in Canadian Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 648-66, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Lars Osberg & Daniel V. Gordon & Zhengxi Lin, 1994.
"Interregional Migration and Interindustry Labour Mobility in Canada: A Simultaneous Approach,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 58-80, February.
- Osberg, L. & Gordon, D. & Lin, Z., 1992. "Inter-Regional Migration and Inter-Industry Labour Mobility in Canada: A Simultaneous Approach," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 92-08, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, A. & Marcellino, M. & Osbat, C., 2000.
"Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-economic Data,"
Economics Working Papers
eco2000/20, European University Institute.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2004. "Some cautions on the use of panel methods for integrated series of macroeconomic data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 322-340, December.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, . "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-Economic Data," Working Papers 170, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Elizabeth Wakerly & Byron Scott & James Nason, 2006.
"Common trends and common cycles in Canada: who knew so much has been going on?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 320-347, February.
- Elizabeth C. Wakerly & Byron G. Scott & James M. Nason, 2004. "Common trends and common cycles in Canada: who knew so much has been going on?," Working Paper 2004-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000. "Improving the Reliability of Bootstrap Tests," Working Papers 995, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Phillip Swagel & Steven Vincent Dunaway & Martin David Kaufman, 2003. "Regional Convergence and the Role of Federal Transfers in Canada," IMF Working Papers 03/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Ayat, L. & Burridge, P., 1996.
"Unit Root Tests in the presence of Uncertainty about the Non-Stochastic Trends,"
96-28, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Ayat, Leila & Burridge, Peter, 2000. "Unit root tests in the presence of uncertainty about the non-stochastic trend," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 71-96, March.
- Moon, Hyungsik R., 1999. "A note on fully-modified estimation of seemingly unrelated regressions models with integrated regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 25-31, October.
- Joseph DeJuan & Marc Tomljanovich, 2005. "Income convergence across Canadian provinces in the 20th century: Almost but not quite there," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 567-592, 09.
- John F. Helliwell, 1996. "Convergence and Migration among Provinces," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 324-30, April.
- Kathleen M. Day & Stanley L. Winer, 2005.
"Policy-induced Internal Migration: An Empirical Investigation of the Canadian Case,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1605, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kathleen Day & Stanley Winer, 2006. "Policy-induced internal migration: An empirical investigation of the Canadian case," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 535-564, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6685. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.