Average Cost and Marginal Cost Pricing in Marshall: Textual Analysis and Interpretation
This paper proposes a textual analysis of Marshall’s theory of firm pricing behavior under competitive conditions. It considers to what extent average cost and marginal cost pricing rules characterize Marshall’s competitive partial equilibrium, and it shows that the two rules differ for origins and can be reconciled only with great difficulty in a general equilibrium framework.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Donald J, 1988. "On the Classical Theory of Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 139-67, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1957. "Perfect Competition, Historically Contemplated," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 1.
- Paul J. McNulty, 1967. "A Note on the History of Perfect Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 395.
- Ekelund, Robert B, Jr & Hebert, Robert F, 1999. "The Dupuit-Marshall Theory of Competitive Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 225-40, May.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution: Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 439, July.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-36, July.
- Hart, Neil, 1996. "Marshall's Theory of Value: The Role of External Economies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 353-69, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.