Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition
Vietnam has gone through massive economic restructuring from a socialist command economy to market-oriented economy. This provides an excellent example of a country that has experienced changes in competition regime. Economic reforms in late 1980s and 1990s and the introduction of pro-competitive policies in the first half of 2000s have radically altered the economic and, in particular, competitive environment. Understanding the evolution of competition across industries is an important step towards understanding the impact of economic reform on the economic performance of Vietnam as a result of the economic transition. In this paper, the authors investigate the evolution of competition in Vietnam during the economic transition using the price-cost margin (or Lerner Index) and the profit elasticity measure recently developed by Boone (Competition, 2000). This paper provides the first empirical study of intensity and evolution of competition across majority of industries in Vietnam in the last decade using firm-level data from the Vietnam Enterprise Census (VEC) conducted annually since 2000 by the Vietnam General Statistical Office (GSO).
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-746, August.
- Rabah Amir, "undated".
"Market Structure, Scale Economies and Industry Performance,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Rabah Amir, 2000. "Market Structure, Scale Economies and Industry Performance," Discussion Papers 00-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rahab Amir, 2000. "Market Structure, Scale Economies, and Industry Performance," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-08, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- AMIR, Rabah, 2003. "Market structure, scale economies and industry performance," CORE Discussion Papers 2003065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rosenthal, Robert W, 1980. "A Model in Which an Increase in the Number of Sellers Leads to a Higher Price," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(6), pages 1575-1579, September.
- Jan Boone, 2008.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1245-1261, 08.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Boone, Jan, 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlin, Wendy & Fries, Steven & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2001.
"Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 376, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
144, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2010. "Intra-industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(8), pages 1006-1022, 08.
- Raff, Horst & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Intra-industry adjustment to import competition: theory and application to the German clothing industry," Kiel Working Papers 1557, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 2851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raff, Horst & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 4434, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Athey, Susan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2001. "Investment and Market Dominance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- George J. Stigler, 1957. "Perfect Competition, Historically Contemplated," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 1-1.
- Chen, Natalie & Imbs, Jean & Scott, Andrew, 2009.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 50-62, February.
- Alexander Schiersch & Jens Schmidt-Ehmcke, 2010. "Empiricism Meets Theory: Is the Boone-Indicator Applicable?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1030, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Doan, Tinh & Gibson, John, 2010. "Return to schooling in Vietnam during economic transition: Does the return reach its peak?," MPRA Paper 24984, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Oct 2010.
- A. P. Lerner, 1934. "The Concept of Monopoly and the Measurement of Monopoly Power," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(3), pages 157-175.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John van Reenen, 1999. "Market Share, Market Value and Innovation in a Panel of British Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 529-554.
- Boone, J., 2000.
2000-104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Silvia Fabiani & Enrico Sette, 2010. "The pro-competitive effect of imports from China: an analysis of firm-level price data," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 737, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "The Effects Of Privatization And International Competitive Pressure On Firms??? Price-Cost Margins: Micro Evidence From Emerging Economies1," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-603, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Harold Creusen & Bert Minne & Henry van der Wiel, 2006. "Competition in the Netherlands; an analysis of the period 1993-2001," CPB Document 136, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hakkala, Katariina & Kokko , Ari, 2007. "The State And The Private Sector In Vietnam," EIJS Working Paper Series 236, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.