Empiricism Meets Theory: Is the Boone-Indicator Applicable?
Boone (2008a) proposes a new competition measure based on Relative Profit Differences (RPD) with superior theoretical properties. However, the empirical applicability and robust-ness of the Boone-Indicator is still unknown. This paper aims to address that question. Using a rich, newly built, data set for German manufacturing enterprises, we test the empirical valid-ity of the Boone-Indicator using cartel cases. Our analysis reveals that the traditional regres-sion approach of the indicator fails to correctly indicate competition. A proposed augmented indicator based on RPDs performs better. The traditional Lerner-Index is still the only meas-ure that correctly indicates the expected competitive changes.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- repec:oup:restud:v:66:y:1999:i:3:p:529-54 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John van Reenen, 1999. "Market Share, Market Value and Innovation in a Panel of British Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 529-554.
- Anca Pruteanu-Podpiera & Laurent Weill & Franziska Schobert, 2007. "Market Power and Efficiency in the Czech Banking Sector," Working Papers 2007/6, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.