Comparing Cartel Behavior: A Simulation Analysis with the System of Cartel Markers (SCM)
This work simulates the behavior of a price, quota and regional cartel in terms of indicators such as price, capacity and rate of return. As a first step the specific behavior patterns of each cartel are indicated in a graphical analysis before a comparison to a competitive benchmark has been implemented. In a second step simulation data has been applied to the System of Cartel Markers (SCM) invented by Blanckenburg and Geist. The SCM uses empirical correlation and stationarity of indicators to provide empirical evidence for cartel behavior. For the simulated cartel data the SCM delivered consistent results which underline its functionality for simulation purposes.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Am Stadtgraben 9, 48143 Münster|
Phone: (02 51) 83-2 29 71
Fax: (02 51) 83-2 29 70
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/insiwo
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Korbinian Blanckenburg & Alexander Geist, 2011. "Detecting illegal activities: the case of cartels," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 15-33, August.
- Martin J Osborne & Carolyn Pitchik, 1985.
"Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1985-02, McMaster University.
- Osborne, Martin J & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1987. "Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 911-22, July.
- Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "The Persistence of Profits: A European Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 375-89, June.
- Benoit, Jean-Pierre & Krishna, Vijay, 1985. "Finitely Repeated Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 905-22, July.
- Korbinian von Blanckenburg & Alexander Geist & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2010.
"The Influence of Collusion on Price Changes: New Evidence from Major Cartel Cases,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1004, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Korbinian Blanckenburg & Alexander Geist & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2012. "The Influence of Collusion on Price Changes: New Evidence from Major Cartel Cases," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 13(3), pages 245-256, 08.
- Brown, A. Blake & Martin, Laura L., 1996. "Price Versus Quota Reductions: U.S. Flue-Cured Tobacco Policy," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Alexander Schiersch & Jens Schmidt-Ehmcke, 2010. "Empiricism Meets Theory: Is the Boone-Indicator Applicable?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1030, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Joseph E. Harrington, Jr, 2006. "How Do Cartels Operate?," Economics Working Paper Archive 531, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Harrington, Joseph E., 2006. "How Do Cartels Operate?," Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics, now publishers, vol. 2(1), pages 1-105, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:muc:wpaper:201041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norbert Hiller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.