Average cost and marginal cost pricing in Marshall: Textual analysis and interpretation
This paper proposes a textual analysis of Marshall's theory of firm pricing behavior under competitive conditions. Average cost and marginal cost pricing theories have very distinct origins as they are rooted, respectively, in the classical and marginalistic theory of competition. I analyze to what extent and under which circumstances the two theories joined in the work of Alfred Marshall; and I argue that, even though only partial evidence can be found to support the adoption of the notion of marginal cost pricing by Marshall, he developed some concepts, such as the distinction between short and long periods and the notion of quasi-rents, which turned out to be fundamental for the joint acceptance of marginal cost and average cost pricing principles by the Marshallian school.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ekelund, Robert B, Jr & Hebert, Robert F, 1999. "The Dupuit-Marshall Theory of Competitive Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 225-40, May.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution: Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 439, July.
- Harris, Donald J, 1988. "On the Classical Theory of Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 139-67, March.
- Paul J. McNulty, 1967. "A Note on the History of Perfect Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 395.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-36, July.
- Hart, Neil, 1996. "Marshall's Theory of Value: The Role of External Economies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 353-69, May.
- George J. Stigler, 1957. "Perfect Competition, Historically Contemplated," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:16:y:2009:i:4:p:665-694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.